strange training technique?

Old September 20th 03, 03:03 AM
montana

Default strange training technique?

In article ,
"ripple" wrote:

We have a 6 mo rat terrier/sheltie mix. My husband told me that he was told
that an effective training technique
is to spank the object that the dog is chewing or being destructive to. For
example, if the dog is chewing a shoe,
the owner would spank and scold the shoe. This, supposedly, will cease the
dog's behavior. Has anyone heard
of such a thing? I told him that it sounded a little far fetched to me.

Cassidy

We have done this with good results. It is bizarre, but if it works, who
cares? Some dogs deal well with it, other dogs may join in the fun and
bark at the thing being punished & others yet may not react at all. It
is far fetched.

Old September 20th 03, 03:13 AM
Tricia9999

We have a 6 mo rat terrier/sheltie mix. My husband told me that he was told
that an effective training technique
is to spank the object that the dog is chewing or being destructive to. For
example, if the dog is chewing a shoe,
the owner would spank and scold the shoe. This, supposedly, will cease the
dog's behavior. Has anyone heard
of such a thing? I told him that it sounded a little far fetched to me.

Cassidy

Yes, it is used with apparent good results. You can use this with a dog that
steals food off the counter also - act very afraid of the counter with food and
dog will become fearful of it as well.

Old September 20th 03, 06:45 AM
me and bobby mcgee

Sounds like a recipe for a highly neurotic dog to me...

Old September 20th 03, 06:45 AM
me and bobby mcgee

Sounds like a recipe for a highly neurotic dog to me...

Old September 20th 03, 06:45 AM
me and bobby mcgee

Sounds like a recipe for a highly neurotic dog to me...