Any suggesttons?

Old December 14th 03, 04:54 AM
Pug Dogs Dad

Default Any suggesttons?

Hi folks.
Thought some of you might share your knowledge and preferences.
My neighbours want to get a dog, but want help to choose a breed. I am a
Pug Man, but they want something bigger, (though I really can't understand
why) and I really don't know enough about any large breeds to help them.
Here's some info. to go on.
No children yet, but they are young, and probably will have a couple.
Have a house with yard.
They want a dog that will be laid back and gentle....no aggresive or
super-active dog.
Short hair and medium to large size, but not a 'giant' breed.
Regards
Chris

Old December 14th 03, 07:20 AM
T Parsons

Newfoundland maybe? Old Englsih Sheepdog? I know people with
Newfoundlands, and I have an OES myself, and she is a very loving dog that
deep down wishes she was just a little lap dog and wanting to cuddle up on
your lap...hell sometimes she ever attempts it! She love to be active but
really doesn't mind laying around the house either.

That's all I can think of now.

Some people may suggest a Lab, because they are good family dogs and good
pets etc.. But I have an 8 month old Lab/Setter cross and she has more
energy than the Sheepdog 10 times over.

--
Cheers,

T Parsons
Newfoundland
Canada
"Just give 'er"
"Pug Dogs Dad" wrote in message
Hi folks.
Thought some of you might share your knowledge and preferences.
My neighbours want to get a dog, but want help to choose a breed. I am a
Pug Man, but they want something bigger, (though I really can't understand
why) and I really don't know enough about any large breeds to help them.
Here's some info. to go on.
No children yet, but they are young, and probably will have a couple.
Have a house with yard.
They want a dog that will be laid back and gentle....no aggresive or
super-active dog.
Short hair and medium to large size, but not a 'giant' breed.
Regards
Chris

---

Old December 14th 03, 03:51 PM
EGD

"Pug Dogs Dad" wrote in message
Hi folks.
Thought some of you might share your knowledge and preferences.
My neighbours want to get a dog, but want help to choose a breed. I am a
Pug Man, but they want something bigger, (though I really can't understand
why) and I really don't know enough about any large breeds to help them.
Here's some info. to go on.
No children yet, but they are young, and probably will have a couple.
Have a house with yard.
They want a dog that will be laid back and gentle....no aggresive or
super-active dog.
Short hair and medium to large size, but not a 'giant' breed.
Regards
Chris

They might consider a rescue Greyhound. Tons available. Short haired couch
potatoes.
EGD

Old December 14th 03, 04:07 PM
gryghost

a retired greyhound.

Have they had dogs before? I agree the greyhound would be an excellent
choice. In addition I would suggest: Whippet, Bassett Hound, Smooth Collie
(with low drive), Labrador (not from field lines), or go to a shelter and
find a dog that fits their needs.
Dawn

Old December 14th 03, 04:16 PM
T Parsons

Labrador does not fit their needs.

They are very active dogs that need a lot of exercise, if not they will get
bored rather quickly.

--
Cheers,

T Parsons
Newfoundland
Canada

Old December 14th 03, 06:02 PM
Jimmy R

Go to http://www.moloss.com/, and get ready to read a lot, and choose a good
doggy for your friends, good luck.

Old December 15th 03, 12:54 AM
gryghost

Labrador does not fit their needs.
They are very active dogs that need a lot of exercise, if not they will

get
bored rather quickly.

Not all labs are active, we have several in daycare. Some spend most of the
time lounging, some tire out after an hour of play and some go ALL day. The
right adult dog could very well fit their needs.
Dawn

Old December 15th 03, 01:03 AM
Lianca

"EGD" wrote in message

[...]

You do not say if your neighbours are at work all day. If someone

is at home during the day a Basset Hound is an ideal family dog. But,
and this is a big but, they are hounds and do require company and
plenty to keep them occupied. They are extremely nice natured, and
love human companionship. They do need regular grooming, and their
ears need frequent cleaning. They do not like being left alone but
prefer to be a family member, joining in with all the family
activities. If they go to a home with responsible, caring owners, they
will be a loyal, trustworthy, faithful friend. Hope this helps.
Lianca
Old December 15th 03, 04:19 AM
Sunni12

Check out Geat Danes.
When my husband doesn't want to RV anymore, I swear I'm going to get one of
these gentle giants

-sunny