Remind me how to do this...

Old September 22nd 03, 04:26 AM
Marie

Default Remind me how to do this...

OK--I need a reminder in a basic training technique.

The Grandparents are visiting right now, meaning (from Macula's perspective)
there are twice the number of adults in the house ignoring her and paying
attention to babies. Actually, it means that I have more time to snuggle
with her, but Grampa is more fun--when she licks him he starts yelling and
flapping his arms around and playing with her (ok, that's not my dad's
intention, but he won't listen when I try and tell him how to deal with
Macula so she won't think he's playing a game) :-}

Macula will relax in her corner or on the floor, but every few minutes
she'll get up and get in one of my parents' faces, licking them or trying to
climb in their lap, and ignoring them when they say Off or Down. Hubby or I
will get involved, she'll back off and go lie down again. Then the scenario
begins again a few minutes later. It's like, any attention is better than
the no attention she gets while she's lying quietly. I remember something
from when she was a puppy--a settle command or something, that's supposed to
remedy this? When she's lying around quietly and I go up to her to praise
her and/or pet her for being good, she immediately starts getting up and
wanting to play. How do I get her to be happy hanging out with us without
being actively played with/cuddled?

Thanks for the remedial :-)

Marie
Meet Macula at http://members.rogers.com/mmcw/
Meet the Kidlets at http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mmcw2

Old September 22nd 03, 10:58 AM
Paul B

Marie" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
OK--I need a reminder in a basic training technique.

Macula will relax in her corner or on the floor, but every few minutes
she'll get up and get in one of my parents' faces, licking them or trying

climb in their lap, and ignoring them when they say Off or Down. Hubby or

will get involved, she'll back off and go lie down again. Then the

scenario
begins again a few minutes later. It's like, any attention is better than
the no attention she gets while she's lying quietly. I remember something
from when she was a puppy--a settle command or something, that's supposed

remedy this? When she's lying around quietly and I go up to her to praise
her and/or pet her for being good, she immediately starts getting up and
wanting to play. How do I get her to be happy hanging out with us without
being actively played with/cuddled?

Sounds like she's feeling left out and your efforts to control her are
leaving her feeling snubbed and rejected. If your sitting down, when she
goes to one of your grandparents call her to you , tell her shes a good dog
and invite her to lie next to you on the floor. That way she still feels
close to the action, she may even settle next to grandads feet and be
content there. Roz does the same thing when visitors first arrive, while
she will lie on the rug in the middle of the lounge she's not properly
settled but if we allow her to pick where she wants to settle it's usually
under someones legs and she'll stay there all evening happily.

Paul

Old September 22nd 03, 02:48 PM
Shannon

If it's at all possible, take her out for some good solid exercise. A tired
dog is more likely to "settle" well than a fresh one. ;-)

-Shannon

le.rogers.com...

Old September 22nd 03, 08:53 PM
Lynn K.

"Marie" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...

Macula will relax in her corner or on the floor, but every few minutes
she'll get up and get in one of my parents' faces, licking them or trying to
climb in their lap, and ignoring them when they say Off or Down. Hubby or I
will get involved, she'll back off and go lie down again. Then the scenario
begins again a few minutes later. It's like, any attention is better than
the no attention she gets while she's lying quietly. I remember something
from when she was a puppy--a settle command or something, that's supposed to
remedy this? When she's lying around quietly and I go up to her to praise
her and/or pet her for being good, she immediately starts getting up and
wanting to play. How do I get her to be happy hanging out with us without
being actively played with/cuddled?

"Settle" is as much a physical command as it is verbal - long firm
strokes on the sides to calm & focus an over-excited puppy. Since
Macula is not in that hyper-excited state, Settle isn't what you're
looking for. I'm guessing she doesn't have a down/stay, or doesn't
have a release word and has learned to release herself. So what
you're really looking for is a Place (or rug, mat, bed,spot, etc.
command) to allow her to move to whatever position she wants to within
the perimeter of a space. It's easy to teach, even if it should have
been taught before the grandparents came to visit. In this situation,
you're going to have to teach Place and reinforce it with a tie down
until she has it solidly.

Lynn K.