toilet training

Old September 19th 03, 07:37 PM
howard richler

Default toilet training

I recently inherited a 2 1/2 year old wheaten terrier because its
original owner had to leave the country and couldn't take care of the
dog anymore, I've
had the dog almost 3 weeks now and it is still making in the house. I
give the dog plenty of walks but it seems to prefer dumping inside,
usually in the middle of the night with a preference for doing it on
carpets.

I've made sure not to feed the dog anything in the evening and make
sure to reward the dog with a special treat after she dumps outside,
and this is the only time she gets a treat. When I find that she has
done her "business" inside the house, I bring her over to the scene of
the crime and scold her.

As far as her past history of dumnping, I don't really know. Because
her owner had to leave before I was ready for the dog, she stayed with
a family on a farm for 2 weeks and they had said that she made in the
house occasionally.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can try? She is a loving
dog and seems quite bright. I'm hoping its just a temporary reaction
to her missing her owner and that she'll eventually stop, but I'd
like to take a more proactive approach.