Puppy off-leash trade off..

Old December 16th 03, 04:25 AM
Aamer Sachedina

Default Puppy off-leash trade off..

Hi:

I have a 9 month old female GSD Meika. She's a great pup. We've been
working through some issues of on leash dog aggression through
desensitization from a distance.

I thought that some more off leash socialization with other dogs would
benefit her. She has been socialized off leash, especially when she
was younger (puppy kindergarten and other occasional play sessions).
She generally plays well off leash however has not had the opportunity
to do this on a regular basis (average is once a week to once every
two weeks for the last few months).

Other dog parents get together at a neighbourhood park every night and
let their dogs play. We've joined them for the past week but I dread
going down there because my puppy TOTALLY ignores me when she is
there. This is not much of a problem until it is time to go home. We
get there a few minutes before others and practise come on a 30ft line
and this works quite well with no dogs around.

I've had a previous trainer tell me not to let her off leash until she
is coming back reliably. I want to strike a balance between this and
allowing her the socialization opportunity.

Any thoughts of whether this is the right approach (continuing to set
her up to ignore me for nightly socialization). Frankly I'd be much
happier spending our half an hour together on a walk but I want to do
whats right for her.

BTW. I've tried everything to get her to pay attention with other
dogs around off leash (does reasonably on leash once she is settled
down). I bring food (liver) / toys - to no avail. All the other dogs
start surrounding me for the goodies however :-).

-Aamer
Old December 16th 03, 05:43 AM
Jo Wolf

You ain't there yet! You still have a PUPPY... a teenaged twit, in
fact, and you expect her to pay attention when she's with other dogs and
playing? Not Yet! Get a grip and go back to teaching the recall. I
would not expect ANY puppy to have a 100% recall with this level of
distraction.
If you want her to play, and she plays well, just walk out there and
fetch her back when indicated... don't call her and let her ignore a
command. If she doesn't play well, she's probably overwhelmed in the
group, and is not ready for this intense activity yet. As with kids,
it's unfair to compare one pup's development and training with
another's. Your trainer is right. That's why he's the instructor
grin. Puppy kindergarden is just that.... a beginning. Sign up for
basic obedience class and keep going! The fun of training is just
starting.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old December 16th 03, 07:14 AM
crackpipe

the moment your dog disobeys you, try beating the **** out of her, the
longer the bitch makes you run after her the harder you should beat
it. try the treats if need be, but once you catch the bitch, beat it.
you can strangle it but you run the risk of the animal going
cross-eyed,,, if you dont mind this for a few weeks they might go back
straight. and any of those other people at the dog play session looks
at you while your beating YOUR dog, threaten them with a beating.

getting a puppy Ilan Kerman Dog breeds 2 December 3rd 03 05:06 AM
getting a puppy Ilan Kerman Dog breeds 0 December 2nd 03 08:59 PM
New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu) MikeTheBike9 Dog breeds 1 November 25th 03 12:18 AM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM