how to fetch update

Old September 23rd 03, 09:17 PM
Cate

Default how to fetch update

I've resolved to follow through on things in general, so I'm back to report
my progress with getting Orson to return fetching toys to me.

I'm frustrated to report that I've failed with all of the following:

Trading toy for toy. This is mainly because, I've figured out, he sees
specific toys for specific occasions. ie., 'donut' (tennis ring) is for
water fetching, while 'log' (tennis bumper) is for land fetching. I'm making
an effort to mix them up and to continue trying to trade, but he's pretty
insistent that when fetching on land, the log rules and the donut holds no
appeal.

Playing hard to get/ignoring until toy brought to me. Utter failure. I can
stand around for 15 minutes, ignoring him, and he won't bring me the toy.
He'll come to me to check up on me ('why aren't we playing anymore?') but he
always leaves the toy behind.

Food trade/bribing. He's mighty interested in the food, but he won't bring
his toy to get food. I'll show him the hot dog pieces, tell him to get his
donut, and he'll comply. But he won't bring it all the way to me. He'll move
it a few feet forward, even repeatedly. But never closer than about 5 feet
away. He gives up and just comes and offers behavhiors to get the food.

Rewarding him with tug when he brings the toy to me. I've had a few
opportunities to practice this, because occasionally I can block his exit
from the water and he has to give me the toy. I don't think he enjoys tug--I
think he sees it as me trying to take the toy. So I tried other rewards, a
lot of goofy 'good BOY!' and scratching, but he's definitely just biding his
time until he can get his toy away from me. He doesn't trust that I'm not
going to snatch it away from him. Did I mention that he's super protective
of his fetching toys (when outside) from both humans and dogs?

Next I'm going to try Dianne S's method of short retrieves and 'take' and
'give' for food inside the house. I think Orson and I have trained each
other well enough for 3 years so that we're going to have to start over and
go s-l-o-w-l-y.

Cate

Update on Max Marshall Dermer Dog health 28 October 6th 03 03:07 AM
Update on Max Marshall Dermer Dog health 0 October 4th 03 04:52 PM
how to fetch update Cate Dog behavior 117 September 29th 03 04:05 AM
how to fetch update Cate Dog behavior 0 September 23rd 03 09:17 PM
9 y.o. Border Collie mix with ACL injury update Deb Dog health 3 August 30th 03 08:40 AM