Question - guide dogs finding room numbers

Old September 23rd 03, 10:59 PM
Chris Nellist

Default Question - guide dogs finding room numbers

Hi - how widespread is it for dogs working with blind people to be trained
to find room numbers in strange buildings, and how do they do it?

I ask this having read Dita Kilsby's edited book on border collies, in
which there is a boxout in which a blind person describes how she trained
her border collie to work with her, and registered him as a guide dog
before he retired because of ill health. She then got an officially trained
guide dog, and says that "one of my frustrations was that guide dogs are
not taught to find room numbers in strange buildings or to find shopping in
a supermarket. As my other dogs had done these things..."

She describes how she taught her guide dog to find things in supermarkets,
but she does not say any more about room numbers in strange buildings. I'd
be interested to hear anything that may relate to what she is on about!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Chris