TPW, I like your style

Old September 25th 03, 09:15 PM
DogTired

Default TPW, I like your style

Hello all,

Been lurking for four weeks, since I got my girl. She's half Aussie/black
lab and just as cute as a bug. Haven't had a puppy in many years (+10), but
my last attempt at dog training failed miserably. I had a dog who would not
be housebroken with every method I could read or hear about (this was before
the internet), and who ate holes in my waterbed, ripped up the carpets, etc.
Thought it was the worst dog I have ever had, and that kept me from getting
another for so long.

However, situations change and I find myself with plenty of yard (will never
have a dog in an apartment, methinks it's cruel) and longing for a canine
friend. Hence, I got this puppy, Echo is her name.

After reading this NG for a month now, I realized how the mistakes I made
with training my other dog created the very behavior I didn't want. Looking
for tips on training, I wandered in here for advice. I have an aversion to
crating (same as raising a dog in an apartment if you ask me) or physical
abuse to train this puppy. She's going to be a fairly big dog, and the last
thing I want is to create distrust and anxiety, which will make her a "bad"
dog in the coming years. Seems anyone should be able to figure it out, you
beat a kid, the kid grows up to be a spouse abuser, you beat a dog, the dog
grows up to be aggressive and a biter. Sounds plain simple to me.

Jerry, I have been reading through your free manual and I like your ideas,
they make perfect sense. I have not completely instituted your methods,
yet, but just had to tell you that by using the can, I was able to get Echo
to stay at the fence while I checked the mail. Usually I have to walk back
and forth 10 times and lock the gate behind me so she will stay. IOW, Echo
Stay....(walk five steps, turn and see Echo following me)....walk back
inside gate and repeat Echo Stay...(and on and on x10). Today I used the
can. Why she stayed this time I can't really say, perhaps it was the can,
perhaps coincidence, but later when she was chewing on my shoe, I again used
the can. She dropped the shoe and never went back to it, though she is
laying only 3 feet from it sleeping at this very moment.

Anyway, though Jerry seems a bit harsh to others on the NG who post
questions, what he says is really in the dog's best interest. My guess is
that he is so outspoken so he can get the message across. What's wrong with
a system that uses intelligence and respect to train, rather than abuse and
neglect? I shouldn't have to say this, but I know those other posters are
going to accuse me of being Jerry himself and posting under a pseudonem, but
I am me, alive and well here in SoCal, respecting my dog's intelligence.

Best Wishes, Jerry, in your attempt to retrain the humans.

Me Shell

Old September 25th 03, 09:17 PM
mickael

Hello Me Shell

Welcome to our happy family. Now the lies about Jerry will start. They
will be told by Sara Sionnach, shelly the fatass dog starving pig, Rocky
(Matt's a dog) Lynn Kill the dog murderer and others.

pay them no mind and continue having success

enjoy!

michael
live..
http://dogtv.com

Old September 25th 03, 09:26 PM
me and bobby mcgee

Anyway, though Jerry seems a bit harsh to others on the NG who post

SNIP

A bit harsh? That's like saying Hitler was a bit crazy... or that Mao was a
bit Left.

questions, what he says is really in the dog's best interest. My guess is
that he is so outspoken so he can get the message across. What's wrong

with
BIG SNIP

Jerry's a wacked-out Charlatan who's real interest is developing and hawking
a quackish contraption. He's a snake-oil salesman who's trolling for
converts/suckers to hawk his wares to. His customers are the same ones who
buy "miracle cures" for ailments on late night television infomercials.

Old September 25th 03, 09:39 PM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, DogTired wrote:
Anyway, though Jerry seems a bit harsh to others on the NG
who post questions,

a *bit*? you think telling people they should commit suicide
(along with graphic instructions), or expressing joy in the
9/11 deaths is a "bit" harsh? oye. not to mention the other
foul garbage he spews here on a regular basis.

what he says is really in the dog's best interest.

which part would that be? the part where he recommended that
someone whose dog was acting uncharacteristically restless
should use his training techniques (the owner thankfully took
the dog to the vet on the advice of another poster, otherwise
the dog would have died), or the part where he *proudly*
claims to have so seriously stressed dogs during training that
their temperatures spiked to 106F and they got explosive
diarrhea? maybe you're reading bizarro.rpdb?

My guess is that he is so outspoken so he can get the message
across.

or he's a mentally unstable individual who is looking for
attention to feed his sickness.

What's wrong with a system that uses intelligence and respect
to train, rather than abuse and neglect?

nothing. why do you assume that Jerry is the only one who
trains without abusing or neglecting dogs? it shouldn't take
finely tuned critical thinking skills to figure out who the
abusers in this group are.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette