persistent UTI problems

Old September 25th 03, 11:40 PM
Chloe's Mom

Default persistent UTI problems

I'm back to the old "who's been pee'ing in my closet".... Both yesterday
and today I found puddles. Havign a cat and a dog - ya gotta try to rule
one or the other out.

I had a rubber backed throw rug on the floor and yesterday it had a huge
puddle on it. The only one in there that I'd notice was the cat. Took
the rug out - the walltowall underneath wasn't touched (the rubber backing
on the throw saved it). I closed the door.

This morning I got up to go to the gym. Went to the closet to get my socks,
closed the door again. (pocket sliding doors, both animals know how to get
in.) returned home and promptly took dog for her morning walk- she poop'd
and pee'd no problem.

Return home, shower, go to get dressed and find closet door open about 4"
(just enough for cat to get in, but not enough for 55lb dog). And a puddle
on the floor. Have my son check the litter pan - (that was cleaned
yesterday am) no pee in it. WONDERFUL.

OK, so this is Sabrina, my BlackKnight, recent tripod. Yes, with the trama
of the surgery and now being off all meds, but still in the healing
process - MAYBE she's got a UTI. So off to the vet again, tomorrow, cat in
tow, dog urine in bottle.

Thing is - both my animals have frequent UTI problems. Both are on special
prescription Science diet dry food diets to help their urinary tracks. (cat
refuses - all out refuses wet food). What can I do?
Both have been on Batryl (sp?) antibiotic so much this past summer I'm
afraid they'll get immune to its effects.

Can someone give me references to this potash thing and the validity of it
relating to UTI? Or what else can I do or what food can I switch to that
will help.

UGH - any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old September 26th 03, 05:41 PM
Marie C

Hi Chloe's Mom,

What type of treats does your dog eat? My lab is very prone to UTI's and
can't eat most dog treats sold on the market. Also, there is a product/med.
sold by the vets called DLM. You may want to check this out or at least ask
the vet about it. What is so bad about UTI's (and I'm not a vet, just
worked for one) is the formation of crystals , which you probably know by
now.
Marie

Old September 26th 03, 06:22 PM
Chloe's Mom

Dog treats are old mother hubbard brand oldfashioned mini biscuits and
we've used them since we got Chloe in January.

The thing is - the cat doesn't get the biscuits. Both animals keep
showing crystals in their urine test after test and month after month.
The vet suggested trying new food, switching the dog from science diet
chicken/rice formula over to science diet prescription W/D which has
more fiber in it (worked well on the poop end) which was supposed to
help inprove the urinary track

I'm waiting to hear back from the vet on today's test results. The
cat is in for the day (waiting for her bladder to fill up so they can
extract a sample) and I took a sample of the dogs in with me.

But besides continual treatment of antibiotics, which I know can loose
their effectiveness over time. I need to find a permanent solution
to reducing the crystals in the urine in both animals.

"Chloe's Mom" wrote in message
[...]

jayjay
http://home.comcast.net/~jennifer.is...b/c_index.html

Old September 26th 03, 08:14 PM
Marie C

Can you try not giving the dog treats for three-four days. Then, test the
urine with the ph papers. I test my dog about every 3-4 days. If he shows
a high ph, (which usually means he ate something he shouldn't have) then I
will give him 1 tablet of DLM to reduce the urine alkalinity. I don't know
anything about cats urine:-( I'm surprised the prescription food didn't
help but I do know if Sunny gets a treat he shouldn't have, his ph does go
up high, somewhere over 8.0+. I make the dog treats with cheese and rice
flour and he can tollerate that for a treat. These treats are made to keep
the urine ph low. If you would like the recipie, just let me know.
Marie