A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Max--Vomiting, Lethargy, Discomfort, Fever

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3rd 03, 03:15 PM
Marshall Dermer
external usenet poster
Posts: n/a
Default Max--Vomiting, Lethargy, Discomfort, Fever

Max has a new problem:

Max is our 5.5 yr old, neutered Havanese with a history of acute

Max is fed four times daily for otherwise he vomits.

Max has had calcium oxalate uroliths removed about 9 months ago
and now exclusively eats Hills Canine U/D, plus rice cakes as treats.

Max has had a history of "attacks" that occur about every 30 days. Four
attacks so far. He vomits, refuses food (but not water), and then either
becomes lethargic or moves from position to position. He often also develops
a fever. The attack two days ago went as follows:

1. He vomited at about 5:30 AM with nothing much in the vomit.

2. At about 9 AM I fed him a little rice + ground chicken and
he vomited this.

3. By 8 PM his temp was 102.5.

4. By 10 PM he was hot to the touch, panting, and moving from
one position to another. He remained in a given position
for only a few minutes.

5. By 3 PM the fever broke and he was resting comfortably.

6. The following day he was returning to his normal behavior.

7. Two days, post attack, he is normal though he has loose,
orange stool. This has cleared up with time.

AFTER these attacks we have brought Max to the vet. An x-ray revealed
nothing. A month ago, a sonogram was conducted and his blood was tested for
one of the pancreatic enzymes (perhaps amalayse). The enzyme test was
negative. On reading the sonograms, a veterinary radiologist was not
concerned about the sludge in Max's gall bladder but was concerned that the
pancreas had a "hot spot" and that the walls of Max's stomach were
thickened. The radiologist recommended biopsies of the stomach wall and

One month ago, when the sonogram was taken my vet was reluctant
to perform the biopsies. He recommended putting Max on Pepcid AC
daily. So that is what we did. About 2.5 gm every 8 hrs. Despite
the Pepcid AC Max had an attack two days ago.

Now my vet is suggesting exploratory surgery.

I've contacted Max's breeder for his parents produced about
a dozen puppies. The breeder is not aware of such a problem
with the other offspring.

My wife is reluctant to have the exploratory surgery performed. I guess she
wants to wait and see if Max has another attack. (I feel so sorry for Max
as he endures these attacks.)

Another approach is to bring Max in for a sonogram and additional
diagnostic work WHEN HE IS ACCUTE. I talked to the local emergency
veterinary clinic and a doctor said that this is possible and it
would be desirable for the clinic to have Max's records so that the
clinic does not repeat tests.

My own thought, if my wife would agree, is to have exploratory
surgery about two weeks after an attack.

Any other options or thoughts?


Old July 3rd 03, 06:07 PM
Marshall Dermer
external usenet poster
Posts: n/a

In article (Marshall
Dermer) writes:
]But that article made me wonder if Max has been on a course of antibiotics
]or tested for heliobacter. That this new behavior showed up after
]starting to control acid sure makes it sound like a possibility.

Yes it does. Thanks for the great idea!

Hi Diane,

I spoke with my vet and he thought that working on the "Gall Bladder
Hypothesis" is a better bet than the bad bacteria hypothesis. So,
we are going to put Max on Actigall a drug (actually an acid as
I understand it) that should clear out Max's gall bladder of

What it will do to the acidity of Max's urine is another story. Right
now Max's urine is at neutral PH 7 to inhibit the production of
calcium oxalate bladder stones. We will continue hydrating Max's
food which should help keep his urine dilute and inhibit stone

I guess my vet did not find the bacterial infection theory plausible
because the episodes of gastritis last for 12 hrs once about every
30 days.

I read the summaries of the interesting study you brought to my
attention. (Great investigatory work "Dective Blackman"!) I just
want to point out that the researchers, from the beginning, made
certain that none of their mice had Heliobacter Pylori. They
studied the effects of stomach acidity on other bacteria often
associated with gastritis.

Thanks again for I still find the hypothesis interesting! My
vet said he would prescribe antibiotics if this is what I
wanted to do.

Another possibility is take Max off the Canine U/D which
I think would acidify his stomach and make certain his
food is well hydrated to prevent bladder stones.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unauthorized Upgrade)
Copyright 2004-2020 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.