Joint supplement for humans okay for dogs?

Old July 4th 03, 03:50 AM
crazysuzy

Default Joint supplement for humans okay for dogs?

My 12 year old yorkshire terrier has arthritis. I'm thinking of
giving him some joint supplements, nutriceuticals not NSAIDs. Can the
joint supplements for humans that I see on the market be given to my
dog too - as long as I adjust the dosage (20mg/lb of body weight for
glucosamine and 15mg to 20mg/lb of chondroitin per day)? Thanks for
the help.

Suzy
Old July 4th 03, 04:35 AM
C A Brown

It seems that all the supplements that people are taking for arthritis are
working equally well for dogs and yes, your doses sound about right. Molly,
recovering from ruptured ACL and with arthritis is getting glucosamine,
chondroiton, MSM and Salmon oil and it really does seem to make a
difference.
Carol Ann

om...

Old July 11th 03, 01:19 AM
crosem

it is my understanding these work fine, as long as the dosage is correct...

om...

Old July 11th 03, 03:10 AM
Mike

We use Glyco Flex-II for our GOlden who has joint problems. Can get it at anywhere like petmeds.com
or a bunch of online sites....

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:19:39 GMT, "crosem" wrote:

it is my understanding these work fine, as long as the dosage is correct...

. com...

Old July 11th 03, 03:28 PM
Suzanne Andes

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?

Old July 11th 03, 04:05 PM
Mike

Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....

at PetMeds:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...name&curpage=1

For our Golden (65 lbs or so) we use the Glyco Flex II Double Strength.
120 pills for $50 or so. You can get it cheaper at other places if you search a bit. I got mine
for $40 a bottle and am about to order a couple more in the next day or so.

Old July 11th 03, 06:26 PM
montana

Mike wrote:

Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....

at PetMeds:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...ory=Choose+ a
+Category&searchtype=itemname&curpage=1

wrote:

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?

Our vet suggests using inexpensive human Glucosamine which we buy for
much less at the local Walgreens. There isn't really any difference
between the human & dog variety of glucosamine (except the price).
Old July 14th 03, 04:32 AM
Mike

Is there a particular brand that you use that I can look for the next time I head to a pharmacy type
store? I'm all for saving money when the end result is the same.

Thanks.

Old July 14th 03, 04:34 AM
crosem

look at how much it costs per month...in some brands you get more pills, but
they are of a weaker strength and you have to use more/month.
Eckerd's often has "all house brand items 1/2 off;" you can also find store
brand at WalMart, Walgreen's, etc.

news | Is there a particular brand that you use that I can look for the next time

Old July 14th 03, 11:46 PM
montana

"crosem" wrote:

look at how much it costs per month...in some brands you get more pills, but
they are of a weaker strength and you have to use more/month.
Eckerd's often has "all house brand items 1/2 off;" you can also find store
brand at WalMart, Walgreen's, etc.

Yep. If you read the labels, there are some brands with lesser amounts
of Glucosamine and they want you to take them several times a day, when
you could probably go with 500mg once (or twice) a day (depending on the
weight of the dog). Go with the sales!

I got Walgreen's "Finest" brand (value size) and our Tracy thinks they
are yummy citrus-tasting trwats. He eats them like treat, at any rate...