A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Joint supplement for humans okay for dogs?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 4th 03, 03:50 AM
crazysuzy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Joint supplement for humans okay for dogs?

My 12 year old yorkshire terrier has arthritis. I'm thinking of
giving him some joint supplements, nutriceuticals not NSAIDs. Can the
joint supplements for humans that I see on the market be given to my
dog too - as long as I adjust the dosage (20mg/lb of body weight for
glucosamine and 15mg to 20mg/lb of chondroitin per day)? Thanks for
the help.

Suzy
  #2  
Old July 4th 03, 04:35 AM
C A Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It seems that all the supplements that people are taking for arthritis are
working equally well for dogs and yes, your doses sound about right. Molly,
recovering from ruptured ACL and with arthritis is getting glucosamine,
chondroiton, MSM and Salmon oil and it really does seem to make a
difference.
Carol Ann

"crazysuzy" wrote in message
om...
My 12 year old yorkshire terrier has arthritis. I'm thinking of
giving him some joint supplements, nutriceuticals not NSAIDs. Can the
joint supplements for humans that I see on the market be given to my
dog too - as long as I adjust the dosage (20mg/lb of body weight for
glucosamine and 15mg to 20mg/lb of chondroitin per day)? Thanks for
the help.

Suzy



  #3  
Old July 11th 03, 01:19 AM
crosem
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

it is my understanding these work fine, as long as the dosage is correct...

"crazysuzy" wrote in message
om...
| My 12 year old yorkshire terrier has arthritis. I'm thinking of
| giving him some joint supplements, nutriceuticals not NSAIDs. Can the
| joint supplements for humans that I see on the market be given to my
| dog too - as long as I adjust the dosage (20mg/lb of body weight for
| glucosamine and 15mg to 20mg/lb of chondroitin per day)? Thanks for
| the help.
|
| Suzy


  #4  
Old July 11th 03, 03:10 AM
Mike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

We use Glyco Flex-II for our GOlden who has joint problems. Can get it at anywhere like petmeds.com
or a bunch of online sites....


On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:19:39 GMT, "crosem" wrote:

it is my understanding these work fine, as long as the dosage is correct...

"crazysuzy" wrote in message
. com...
| My 12 year old yorkshire terrier has arthritis. I'm thinking of
| giving him some joint supplements, nutriceuticals not NSAIDs. Can the
| joint supplements for humans that I see on the market be given to my
| dog too - as long as I adjust the dosage (20mg/lb of body weight for
| glucosamine and 15mg to 20mg/lb of chondroitin per day)? Thanks for
| the help.
|
| Suzy


  #5  
Old July 11th 03, 03:28 PM
Suzanne Andes
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?

  #6  
Old July 11th 03, 04:05 PM
Mike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....

at PetMeds:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...name&curpage=1

For our Golden (65 lbs or so) we use the Glyco Flex II Double Strength.
120 pills for $50 or so. You can get it cheaper at other places if you search a bit. I got mine
for $40 a bottle and am about to order a couple more in the next day or so.


On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:28:25 -0400 (EDT), (Suzanne Andes) wrote:

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?


  #7  
Old July 11th 03, 06:26 PM
montana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Mike wrote:

Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....

at PetMeds:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...ory=Choose+ a
+Category&searchtype=itemname&curpage=1

For our Golden (65 lbs or so) we use the Glyco Flex II Double Strength.
120 pills for $50 or so. You can get it cheaper at other places if you
search a bit. I got mine
for $40 a bottle and am about to order a couple more in the next day or so.


On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:28:25 -0400 (EDT), (Suzanne Andes)
wrote:

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?



Our vet suggests using inexpensive human Glucosamine which we buy for
much less at the local Walgreens. There isn't really any difference
between the human & dog variety of glucosamine (except the price).
  #8  
Old July 14th 03, 04:32 AM
Mike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Is there a particular brand that you use that I can look for the next time I head to a pharmacy type
store? I'm all for saving money when the end result is the same.

Thanks.

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:26:01 -0400, montana wrote:

In article ,
Mike wrote:

Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....

at PetMeds:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...ory=Choose+ a
+Category&searchtype=itemname&curpage=1

For our Golden (65 lbs or so) we use the Glyco Flex II Double Strength.
120 pills for $50 or so. You can get it cheaper at other places if you
search a bit. I got mine
for $40 a bottle and am about to order a couple more in the next day or so.


On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:28:25 -0400 (EDT), (Suzanne Andes)
wrote:

I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
this?



Our vet suggests using inexpensive human Glucosamine which we buy for
much less at the local Walgreens. There isn't really any difference
between the human & dog variety of glucosamine (except the price).


  #9  
Old July 14th 03, 04:34 AM
crosem
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

look at how much it costs per month...in some brands you get more pills, but
they are of a weaker strength and you have to use more/month.
Eckerd's often has "all house brand items 1/2 off;" you can also find store
brand at WalMart, Walgreen's, etc.

"Mike" wrote in message
news | Is there a particular brand that you use that I can look for the next time
I head to a pharmacy type
| store? I'm all for saving money when the end result is the same.
|
| Thanks.
|
| On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:26:01 -0400, montana
wrote:
|
| In article ,
| Mike wrote:
|
| Here's a link to the stuff we use that oru vet reommended....
|
| at PetMeds:
|
http://www.1800petmeds.com/ph_result...ory=Choose+ a
| +Category&searchtype=itemname&curpage=1
|
| For our Golden (65 lbs or so) we use the Glyco Flex II Double Strength.
| 120 pills for $50 or so. You can get it cheaper at other places if you
| search a bit. I got mine
| for $40 a bottle and am about to order a couple more in the next day or
so.
|
|
| On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:28:25 -0400 (EDT), (Suzanne
Andes)
| wrote:
|
| I received a catalog from Springtime,Inc. out of cockeyville,MD 21030
| They have allkinds of products for dogs health, including joints,
| stress and bugs off. Most are in chewable form. Anyone ever heard of
| this?
|
|
| Our vet suggests using inexpensive human Glucosamine which we buy for
| much less at the local Walgreens. There isn't really any difference
| between the human & dog variety of glucosamine (except the price).
|


  #10  
Old July 14th 03, 11:46 PM
montana
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
"crosem" wrote:

look at how much it costs per month...in some brands you get more pills, but
they are of a weaker strength and you have to use more/month.
Eckerd's often has "all house brand items 1/2 off;" you can also find store
brand at WalMart, Walgreen's, etc.

Yep. If you read the labels, there are some brands with lesser amounts
of Glucosamine and they want you to take them several times a day, when
you could probably go with 500mg once (or twice) a day (depending on the
weight of the dog). Go with the sales!

I got Walgreen's "Finest" brand (value size) and our Tracy thinks they
are yummy citrus-tasting trwats. He eats them like treat, at any rate...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.