Help: Puppy Won't Sleep

Old October 1st 03, 03:06 AM
Allan Goodall

Default Help: Puppy Won't Sleep

Hi, there.

My wife and I had decided that we were going to get a dog, a puppy. We are
both dog people, but in this case our youngest -- who has a dog at my wife's
ex-husband's home -- has been talking incessantly about a dog. The last puppy
I had was in a previous marriage, 8 years ago, so I'm a little rusty. We had
hoped to have some time to research things more, but last week we were the
victims of a "drive-by dogging" and ended up with a little mixed-breed bitch.

The problem: she cries quite a bit in the middle of the night. We live in a
small house, so it's not easy to segregate her where we won't hear her. She's
waking up about once every 45 minutes to 90 minutes, crying in her crate. At
first we had it in a different room, but she woke up and was very, very loud,
waking up all of us. We moved it into our room where she knows where we are,
but it just means that the quieter cries are much closer to us. I've been
getting up with her, but it's really taking its toll on both of us. This is
our second week with her (and due to an unfortunate bit of timing, she had to
be boarded at the vet's over the weekend; not a bad thing, really, as they
were able to deworm her and fix up some other problems), and so far neither of
us have had much of a good night's sleep.

I realize she doesn't have any bladder control, so getting up to let her out
isn't a big deal. The problem is that I think half the time she is just not
tired enough, and the last time she wakes up it's obvious she just wants to
play.

Can anyone give us suggestions, other than just persevering? I know if we let
her out of her crate and let her sleep on the bed, she'd get us up to go
outside and not much more than that, but that means we'd have to let her sleep
in the bed with us for the rest of her life! We don't want to go there. I plan
to try something tonight, taking her for a long walk before we go to bed,
which should help.

Anyone have some suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Allan Goodall
http://www.hyperbear.com

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
well!" - Joe Ancis
Old October 1st 03, 09:38 AM
Alpha

"Allan Goodall" wrote in message
[...]

David Replies: As with a human child if you keep going to her in the night
guess what she knows that crying will make you come end of story.....

So the fix is a simple piece of planning, do not feed her within 4 to 6
hours of bed time then supply her with a small Kong with yummy food in it,
she will wake go for the Kong use up energy and then fall asleep, she will
keep repeating this until she really tires and problem solved.

David Sweeney
STI
QK9SARG
"Send Seek Find"

www.qk9sarg.org

www.qk9sarg.org

Old October 1st 03, 12:43 PM
Diana

"Allan Goodall" wrote in message
[..]

Can anyone give us suggestions, other than just persevering? I know if we

let
her out of her crate and let her sleep on the bed, she'd get us up to go
outside and not much more than that, but that means we'd have to let her

sleep
in the bed with us for the rest of her life! We don't want to go there. I

plan
to try something tonight, taking her for a long walk before we go to bed,
which should help.

I'm afraid perseverance is the only answer, but there's a lot you can do to
make things happen more quickly. I must confess in my first and second week
of having my puppy I did start to wonder if I'd ever get a good nights sleep
again!

In your puppy's case, she's really been through a lot if she's been dumped
and so presumably you don't know how stable her upbringing was, or whether
she's already been uprooted once before, then uprooted again at a strange
vets kennel... these factors can't have helped.

What I did was get a large cardboard box (she's a big puppy) and put it by
my side of the bed. Inside this box I obviously had old towels as bedding
and a chew raw hide treat. I would let her go to sleep with my arm in her
box so that she could feel my presence and be assured but if she bit it or
chewed on it, I took it out... so she wasn't getting fuss ~ just comfort (it
hurt my arm a bit though ~ the box was quite tall sided to stop her getting
out, again, choose a size to suit you and your puppy). At first if she woke
up after 2 - 3 hours I would take her out for a wee, but if she woke between
or wouldn't settle I would persistently tell her to settle and put the chew
in her mouth.

I didn't see how old your pup was ~ Cindy was 7 weeks when she came home.
She's now 13 weeks and sleeps happily through the night in her own cage well
away from the bed but still in our room. If she does wake she has a chew and
a ball on a rope which she plays with quite contentedly until we get up, and
I put a little food and water in there in case she gets hungry in the night
as being so young she is using variable energy amounts everyday and being
hungry is not nice..

And she'll even allow me a little lie in at the week ends.

Good luck and keep on in there ~ my Weim puppy is as obstinate as any breed
and if we can get there I'm sure you can too ;-)

Diana

Old October 1st 03, 02:30 PM
Allan Goodall

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:38:51 GMT, "Alpha" wrote:

So the fix is a simple piece of planning, do not feed her within 4 to 6
hours of bed time then supply her with a small Kong with yummy food in it,
she will wake go for the Kong use up energy and then fall asleep, she will
keep repeating this until she really tires and problem solved.

Thank you, that's a good suggestion.

Last night we fed her late so that she wouldn't wake us up hungry. She slept
longer than she had before, but she still wanted to eat at one point in the
night. The Kong idea is a good one! Any suggestions as to what kind of food to
put in it? The dry food she eats is a bit small, and we haven't found a dog
biscuit yet that she likes.

Allan