My dog bit me today and has the usual tendancy to bite others

Old October 2nd 03, 11:32 PM
HelpmePLEASE!

Default My dog bit me today and has the usual tendancy to bite others

Hi, I have a cute and great dog named Prince. He's 3 1/2 years old now
and I got him from my uncle about 2 years ago. He's a Poodle/Maltese.
I'd like some help or advice in how I can change his behavior please.

He's a great dog when nobody is around but once other people are around
he seems to lose his respect for me. He cuddles up to me and he seems
to listen really well when I'm alone with him but once others are around
if I call him or tell him to stay or go he won't listen to me.

Today he bit me on the fist... I was on the floor and my cousin was on
the computer (Cousins father owned Prince previuosly so Prince does have
an attachment to them still). My cousin was eating some food as was I
and prince came into the room. Well I used the command PRINCE, GO and
pointed out of the room to get prince to leave the room as I command
sometimes for him to do (Listens well when nobody else is around) but
instead he hides under my cousins legs and proceeds to stay there. We
didn't want him in the room because he tends to stare/whine at you when
you're eating and we didn't want that. Well basically I call prince and
he does listen after giving a firm PRINCE, COME HERE command and then
when he was near I commanded SIT DOWN and he did so...I then Say GOODBOY
PRINCE and pet him. I think tried a minute later as he was sitting
beside me to command PRINCE, GO! and pointed out the room but he again
was about to go towards my cousin under the chair so I commanded NO
PRINCE, and nudged (I DID NOT Push him hard) him towards the door but HE
TURNED around and bit me on the fist which didn't hurt too much and then
I got up and SAID NO PRINCE NO...and pointed towards him...my cousin got
up out of the computer chair as he was also startled and scared of this
and my uncle came up and he started growling at everyone....

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to train my dog
better to stop this. He also bites children if he's playing with his
ball and one of the kids comes to take the ball...he also is very
aggressive with little children sniffing them and following

Please help
Old October 3rd 03, 03:47 AM
HelpMEPLEASE

Wasn't sure if that was serious or not...I'm leaning towards NOT serious so
you got way too much time on your hands their puppy but I guess you enjoy
it a lot.

Old October 3rd 03, 03:47 AM
HelpMEPLEASE

Old October 3rd 03, 03:47 AM
HelpMEPLEASE

Old October 3rd 03, 03:55 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:32:02 GMT, "HelpmePLEASE!"
wrote:

[...]

Review what you did -- you called him, and that worked fine. But when
you sent him packing, that didn't work at all, and when you pushed him
away physically, you got bit. So, base your next attempt around what
does work and avoid what doesn't work.

TURNED around and bit me on the fist which didn't hurt too much and then
I got up and SAID NO PRINCE NO...and pointed towards him...my cousin got
up out of the computer chair as he was also startled and scared of this
and my uncle came up and he started growling at everyone....

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to train my dog
better to stop this. He also bites children if he's playing with his
ball and one of the kids comes to take the ball...he also is very
aggressive with little children sniffing them and following

Please help

Next time, get up, call the dog out of the room, get him where you
want him to settle by leading him there -- as opposed to pushing him
away with a command to leave the room -- and then see if you can get
him to stay there while you do your thing. Be calm, patient and
friendly, and invest the two or three minutes it takes to concentrate
on your dog and communicate what it is you want him to do. If he
comes back into the room, lead him back there again. Don't chew him
out or get mad.

If he ever bites you again, pull away from him and curl up in a ball
and nurse the wound and carry on like it's the worst thing that ever
happened to you. Then get away from him and stay away from him, and
after some period of hours, you can re-connect with him and act like
nothing ever happened.

Same thing if he nips a child. Ignore the dog, end the play, and
focus on the child's injury as though it's a big problem.

But if you direct anger at him when he bites, you confirm that he is
in a threatening situation, and you establish a pattern of interaction
with your dog that is exactly what neither of you want.

Charlie