HELP! Pulmonary Edema Question

Old July 6th 03, 05:05 AM
AJB

Default HELP! Pulmonary Edema Question

Help me please.

Any Doctors here?

What would be the typical treatment be for Acute Pulmonary Edema with the
following symptoms?

newly detected heart murmur,
somewhat low white cell count,
no fever,
dog has not urinated in over 36 hours.
has by manual assistance only moved bowels briefly
restlessness, loss of energy
shallow labored breath, panting
unsteady on feet
recently collapsed briefly
will not eat - a little by hand though
will not drink

Is this an emergency? Why? Why not?
Any medications prescribed? What? How much?
Any procedures or tests performed? which?
Immediate treatment is... ?General? Specific?

Thank you

Old July 6th 03, 05:20 AM
ZPL

Is this a school study question? If not, the dog should have gone to the
vet instead of your taking the time to post the question.

news

Old July 6th 03, 05:31 AM
ZPL

O2 100%, ABG, IV line of NS at low rate until Chemistry bloodwork is back,
urinalysis, chest X-Ray, EKG and KUB. Allow patient to rest in most
comfortable position. Urinary catheter for output.

Why is the fluid is gathering at the lungs (CHF?), but you don't want to
overload the kidneys until you know the function. Depending on how bad off
the dog is, you may need to pull the water off the lungs anyway.

Lasix
(morphine? - decrease anxiety and opens up peripheral vessels to take load
of heart and lungs- do they use this on animals?)

Old July 6th 03, 09:48 PM
AJB

Ok now I will tell you what happened.

On July 2, I entered my (airconditioned) home to my 14 year old excited
Maltipoo(PEEJAY - 12 lbs). He wanted to go out and was waiting by the door.
The living room smelled musty so I grabbed a can of Lysol and sprayed a
LITTLE..something I have done many many times..with great care away from
Peejay.

'Peejay" wheezed, walked to his bed and then collapsed weak kneed. I quickly
took him outside. He seemed like he wanted to sleep in my arms and I
wouldn't let him. As I put him down he walked wobbley but seemed much
better. I bemoaned and felt guilty about spraying any Lysol and castrated
myself.
I called his vet that told me to wait another 24 hours to see him because he
probably caught the lysol and this is the aftereffects."Call back in the
morning".

Meanwhile he had not urinated at all, was not eatting.

July 3rd, I call in the morning.I tell them he is still wobbley and his
breath is labored. They say "Come in at 4:00 p.m." ( Still no elimination)

I arrive at 3:00 he is seen at 4:00 with the below mentioned symptoms. The
lead Vet was not there and we were seen by another vet that assisted in
Peejay's successful double hernia operation last year.

In the Physical examination she observed Peejay as having faint white gums.
She heard a heart murmur and noted his labored breathing and some wheezing.
She ran 2 x-rays and did blood work. White cell count came in
low(borderline). We were there for 3-4 hours. She said she was able to
manually help him deficate but also was not able to get a urine sample. She
said the lung congestion was significant and that the heart and lung were
connected."we should do a sonogram". I ask if the sonogram is urgent... she
says 'No" we can do this next month. I ask if we can 'suction his lungs
right now so he's more comfortable". She says " No thats not general
practice, there are two types of pulmonary adema and we are not able to do
that". " I am presribing Predisone to relieve some swelling so he can
breathe easier"

She perscribed Clamovox 125 mg and Prednisone 5 mg. She administered the
first dose in the office.

Home now.. 8:00 p.m. ( still no urination) . he happily crawls into is bed.

12:00 Peejay gets increasingly short of breathe. He's restless and wants to
be on my bed. With extreme Panting I am frightened ..I call the EMERGENCY
Vet. They say he probably needs oxygen and to bring him in. I say I am
afraid to move him. I wait until his breathing seems more regular.

1:00 a.m. I try to pick him up. He's annoyed and I reason with him until he
concedes to permit me.
I call a car service .and the emergency vet to say I am on my way..ask car
service to put the air conditoning on and Peejay lay shallow breathed on my
lap. He knew we were going back to a doctor ( not his favorite thing)

1:45 a.m. As I left the car I walked across the street to ring the bell for
the Vet.. they came in running and Peejay collapsed in my arms. Emergency
treatment consisted on intibation and epinephrine ( 2 times) , heart
paddled. They pronounced him DOA officially.

3 a.m. I am mortified and grieving. I start searching the net for answers
as to why this happened. I am now aware that Prednisone's side effect
produces panting and can even increase salivation and mucus and can also
possibly effect the autoimmune system. I have also heard that YES it IS
common to drain the lung and even to do treacheospy ( Sp?).

I am posting in this newsgroup to get a clearly picture of what the Vet
should have done. The are claiming they did all they could.

I thank you all so much for your responses.

AJoi
http://hometown.aol.com/rasberri1/dog.jpg

Old July 7th 03, 03:48 AM
MK

How horrible. I'm so sorry to hear about this. Not sure about the cause.
It would certainly be a freaky thing to have this all brought on by a whiff
of Lysol. Fluid in the chest can be in two places: inside the lungs or
around the lungs (three places if you count around the heart). Most
commonly, we see fluid building up inside the lungs as a result of
congestive heart failure. It is true you cannot suction this fluid out.
Medications called diuretics, like Lasix (furosemide) are given to remove
the fluid. Fluid around the lungs can be suctioned out. You would not do a
tracheotomy unless there was an upper airway obstruction in the throat. The
prednisone probably hadn't been given long enough to cause any significant
side effects. I think there are some acute respiratory distress syndromes
that may play out like this, but it is certainly unusual.

Hope the info helps.

MK DVM

et...