Weird Behavior

Old July 7th 03, 02:40 AM
randomme

Default Weird Behavior

Hi all,
I have a question. My 11 month old australian shepherd has been showing a
weird behavior (more like disgusting). It started probably a month ago.
Whenever we took him to a dog park and saw other dogs, he would be chasing
them and licking their "private" parts! Is this something common for a male
dog?
If not, what could be wrong with him ? Is there any way we could break this
bad behavior? He's a healthy and obedient dog at home, but it's just
disgusts us when he does that in public!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old July 7th 03, 02:44 AM
diddy

Is this
something common for a male dog?
If not, what could be wrong with him ? Is there any way we could break
this bad behavior?

I took my 13 year old male dog to his first dog park experience a couple
weeks ago. He did this exact same thing.
The 7 year old intact Golden Retriever that went there with me, did the
exact same thing.
I predict it's normal
Old July 7th 03, 02:52 AM
Rocky

randomme said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Is this something common for a male
dog?

Sniffing, yes. Licking is not so usual. Does it happen with
different dogs each time?

Old July 7th 03, 02:52 AM
diddy

I took my 13 year old male dog to his first dog park experience a couple
weeks ago. He did this exact same thing.
The 7 year old intact Golden Retriever that went there with me, did the
exact same thing.
I predict it's normal

I might add, I did see all the dogs in the park doing this, but it all
seemed to be done to the same dog. I wondered at the time, if there was
something unique in that dog's urine, such as sugar, or protiens that
attracted everyone else.
Old July 7th 03, 02:47 PM
diddy

"randomme" wrote in
:

Diddy and Matt,

He does that to whichever dogs that came accross him. We just started to
notice that more earlier. And so it's just weird.
If it is unusual, is there anything we can do to break this bad habit?
Thanks again.

I don't know that it's that unusual. When my older male was younger, other
submissive males did the same to him. I wasn't concerned, because they
weren't my dog.

I hardly can imagine my old guy being submissive to anyone, even in his
tottering state. He has always had a commanding presence that other dogs
respected.

Considering the dog he was licking was a great Dane that was probably
triple his size, perhaps he thought treating him respectfully was the
greater wisdom? When the Great Dane jumped on a snotty Belgian Tervuren
puppy, however, Danny stood up to him and insisted he leave the puppy
alone. The Great Dane yeilded. So I don't understand what the mechanics
involved in that scenario.
Your puppy is at a precarious stage in his life where he's big enough that
he's lost his puppy license, but is yet unsure enough of himself to hold
his own in the adult world. He was probably exhibiting submissive behavior
(my guess) and it was probably a wise move.
How to break it? I wouldn't, But if you can't stand it. Keep him away from
other dogs. I think it's way unfair to force our values and tastes on a dog
because it offends us.

I see my dogs do disgusting things daily, that would NOT be acceptable in
human society. That's what dogs do. I love my dogs, and therefore accept
their social life as is.

I have no clue how to break it.
Old July 7th 03, 02:59 PM
culprit

"randomme" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have a question. My 11 month old australian shepherd has been showing a
weird behavior (more like disgusting). It started probably a month ago.
Whenever we took him to a dog park and saw other dogs, he would be chasing
them and licking their "private" parts! Is this something common for a

male
dog?
If not, what could be wrong with him ? Is there any way we could break

this
bad behavior? He's a healthy and obedient dog at home, but it's just
disgusts us when he does that in public!

what is normal for dogs is sometimes disgusting for people. dogs happily
eat poop. they roll in dead things. they lick their various orifices.
it's not really fair to judge them based on human standards of behavior.

if you're really that horrified by normal dog behavior, i'd follow diddy's
advice and keep your dog out of the public eye.

-kelly

Old July 7th 03, 03:47 PM
randomme

Diddy/Kelly,
Thanks for the advises. I really appreciate it. All my life I have had only
female dogs. So his unusual behavior just seems weird and bothering me
sometimes. I guess I'll learn to ignore it eventually. I agree that he's at
that age where he's not yet sure of whether he's an adult or still a puppy.
He "did" it to mostly bigger dogs, so I guess that's a sign of being
submissive. I think you're right Diddy.

Thanks again for sharing with me

Old July 12th 03, 02:32 AM

That's normal for male and female dogs. I have 5 dogs of differing breeds
and sexes. They all go around sniffing and occassionally licking each
other's privates. They do the same thing when they get around other dogs
although some dogs get irritated with them.
I suppose you could try to train him not to do that by telling him "no" or
whatever other word that you use. Divert his attention by having him play
with a toy and reward him for being around other dogs without the crued
behavior.
Good Luck.

Old August 2nd 03, 11:31 PM
Pat