Just a little experience to share

Old July 8th 03, 01:10 AM
BOCAJ

Default Just a little experience to share

a couple of weeks ago my dog started to vomit at a friends and i thought
no big deal, something my naive old man fed her.
then she did it again and again, 3 times at my friends, then a 4th in
the car then a 5th and 6th, 7th and 8th. The last 3 had some blood so i
knew somethin was up.
I took her to the vets and checked her temperature and took x-rays to
see if she swallowed anything, nothing there.
I got some meds (pills - Tylocine200mg for her stomach and some liquid
to put into her (Sucralfate Suspen's - used for people with ulcers, if i
remember correctly, the pills were 2x2 daily, and the liquid was 4cc's 3
times daily)
Regardless I took her to our vet the next day for a second opinion and
he said the meds were actually fine, so Monday she didn't eat much and
her stool contained some blood which we took as well for testing,
Tuesday she felt better, Wednesday she wasn't, so the doctor gave her a
penicillin (forgot what the reason was) then he gave her an anti-biotic
shot to calm her stomach.
She was itching after the penicillion shot, for about 20minutes but was
fine after.
I forgot to mention he took blood for testing on Monday, the stool
sample turned out negative for Gardia (sp?).
However he mentioned that there was a possibility she may have
pancreaitis (sp?) and it could be life threatening or could be something
else.

I then asked him if it were possible that if she ate some grass sprayed
with pesticide, could that have been the problem.
He said it was probable. He simply told me - while she was sick, to NOT
let her eat grass at all costs. I tried and she managed once, and yes,
she threw up again.

So here we are 2 weeks later and she seems to be doing fine now.
My vet also gave her some antibiotic tablets that we never used, since
she got better, but the nurses at the vets said, since you can't return
them, keep them, because they're good for 2 years and you never know
when you'll need it.

The point of this post is, to just give everyone a heads up and not
freak out and maybe have some reference if needed, to this situation.
I'd hate for this to happen to anyone, but if it does, it may help in
understanding things or what not.

Take care.
~Jakey