Hyperactive old dog

Old July 8th 03, 03:46 AM
fast

Default Hyperactive old dog

My dog is 11 years old and generally has been lazy & lethargic. But
in the last week or two he has suddenly become hyperactive. At first I
was
alarmed because he was panting heavily. He has a heart murmur and I
was worried it might be a symptom of deterioration.

I took him to the vet, who said that his lungs were clear and the
heart condition seemed under control. The vet suggested it might just
be the change in weather. But this doesn't seem to be the case. He
often pants even in cool indoor environments, and I often find him
pacing around restlessly in the middle of the night. The other night
he even jumped on my bed and tried to hump my leg in the middle of
the night!

What on earth is going on with him? Could it be a nervous disorder?
This happened once in the past and the vet suggested it might be
caused
by senility, or anxiety because of loss of eyesight or something else.
He has cataracts but doesn't seem to have any trouble finding his way.
That time he was put on valium and his behavior eventually returned to
normal.
I've started giving him valium again, but it doesn't seem to have any
effect.

Any ideas what the problem is?
Old July 8th 03, 07:08 AM
Jo Wolf

Sudden changes in behavior typically have a physical cause. Lean on the
vet for a complete physical exam including thyroid and electrolyte lab
work. If this vet won't, get a new one.

A usually laid back senior dog that goes hyperactive is not common. It
may romp a bit if the weather cools off, and be somewhat more playful,
but not this total reverse that you describe.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia