Found a tick! Need help!

Old July 9th 03, 12:14 AM
Brian Henderson

Default Found a tick! Need help!

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 02:04:06 GMT, "Tyler Dirden"
wrote:

Now, I've seen ticks attached really well (I used to live WAY out in the
country and we played in the woods a lot) but this one wasn't "dug in". It
kind of makes me thing it's arrival is recent. It's legs weren't attached,
in fact, the tick was only attached at the head and it was able to flop
around (it looked like a big "old man mole").

Ticks don't 'dig in', they simply attach with their mouth parts and
hang. Ticks don't tend to stick around long either, the majority of
their lives are spent in the grass or plants. They only hop on the
dog for a quick snack.

The long and the short of it is, we kinda freaked out and just yanked it
out. I heard and felt it 'snap'. Bear (the dog) didn't even seem to notice,
and he's kind of a wuss when it comes to pain or discomfort.

Don't worry about it. Even if you left something behind, the dog's
immune system will take care of it.

Now that we've had a second to think a little more rationally, we realize
there might have been a better way to get it off of him... So what now? Do
we need to be worried about anything (we know ticks carry lyme disease)
Bear's meds include Program and Interceptor... neither of which do much for
ticks... We're headed home this weekend and we can see our vet, unless it
would be prudent to see someone sooner than Saturday.

If you live in an area where Lyme Disease in prevalent, your dog
should have been innoculated against it by the vet. You can always
check with your vet, but ticks are no more serious than fleas and I'm
sure the tick got a really bad taste in its mouth by what you're
already using.
Old July 9th 03, 12:18 AM
Brian Henderson

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:32:49 -0500, Mike wrote:

The way we always got ticks out (of humans) was to put some cream or some sort (vaseline, lotion,
whatever) on what you can see of the tick. WHen they bury their head they breathe out of their Ass
(seriously) and they will back out trying to get past whatever is impeding them from breathing.
THen once they are out of the hole you just pick them up with a tweezers and then burn them to kill
them.

Seriously, it doesn't hurt to just use tweezers near the head of the
tick and pull it out. Ticks secrete a local anesthetic at the point
of the bite so it isn't going to hurt much when they are removed.

Killing a tick is the same as killing anything else. Drown them,
smash them, burn them, doesn't matter. I usually just get a cup of
either rubbing alcohol or bleach and drop the ticks into it.
Old July 9th 03, 02:14 AM
Amy Dahl

Brian Henderson wrote:

Ticks don't 'dig in', they simply attach with their mouth parts and
hang. Ticks don't tend to stick around long either, the majority of
their lives are spent in the grass or plants. They only hop on the
dog for a quick snack.

I have removed ticks (from dogs and myself) where almost half
the tick was buried in the skin. I think this is mostly a function
of the type of skin where the tick is attached, but it could
reasonably be described as "dug in." And while yes, much of
the life cycle occurs off of the host, ticks may attach for
several days as they slowly engorge, if not removed.

If you live in an area where Lyme Disease in prevalent, your dog
should have been innoculated against it by the vet. You can always
check with your vet, but ticks are no more serious than fleas and I'm
sure the tick got a really bad taste in its mouth by what you're
already using.

A lot of people consider the Lyme vaccine controversial. My vet
refuses to give it. Coverage is far below 100%, so you cannot
assume your dog is safe, even if vaccinated. And of course, ticks
also carry erlichiosis, tularemia, and Rocky Mountain spotted
fever--all very nasty and not easy to diagnose. We consider ticks
a lot more dangerous than fleas, and take pains to keep our dogs
clear of them.

Forgot tick paralysis--another condition that we'd rather avoid.

Amy Dahl

Blue Tick Hound Joe Dog breeds 3 June 29th 05 12:24 AM
Lost and Found Circa 1887 EGD Dog breeds 0 November 5th 03 10:15 PM
Found border collie In Houston Texas Mick McMillin Dog breeds 2 August 13th 03 03:10 AM
Tick? Michael K McCleary Dog health 1 July 9th 03 03:45 PM
Whippet with mystery illness spinkydink Dog health 5 July 9th 03 06:01 AM