Ping Robin N./ anyone with knowlege about ortho issues, esp. in Dobes

Old October 5th 03, 03:21 PM
Sionnach

Default Ping Robin N./ anyone with knowlege about ortho issues, esp. in Dobes

An acquaintence with a Dobe has asked me if I'm aware of any
genetic/hereditary issues in Dobes that could cause the following symptoms
in a 3-yr-old dog. I told him I hadn't a clue, but thought you might:

After exercise - running, on a dirt trail, for about an hour- the dog
appears fine*. After going home, and resting, the dog has difficulty getting
up, with the problem appearing to be with his rear end.
The owner took him to the vet; vet did a bunch of expensive bloodwork, and
so far has found nothing wrong.

*I don't entirely agree, since at the time we were talking, they had just
come off the trails, and the dog's rear action looked off to me. He was
swinging one hind leg out to the side a bit, which suggests to me that his
knee may have been bothering him.

The dog, btw, doesn't look like a particularly good specimen of the breed
to me; I think his build could best be described as "weedy". He's a tall dog
(something like 28"), with very long, thin, almost spindly legs. And the
owner has told me that in retrospect he doesn't think the breeder was all
that good- IIRC, at least two littermates of this dog have ended up in
rescue. :-P

As far as the vet: I can understand doing bloodwork to rule out Lymes
etc., but since this issue is so specific to exercise and then rest - IOW,
it sounds like the dog is getting STIFF - it seems to me that X-rays might
have been a better starting point. What do you think?