Suggestions for fly problem?

Old July 9th 03, 12:47 AM
Brian Henderson

Default Suggestions for fly problem?

It's that time of year again and the flies are out in force this year
and going after the ears of two of my dogs. I feel really sorry for
them and wish there was some way to really keep the flies off but
every product I've used has offered very temporary relief (less than
an hour most of the time) and I'm not sure what to try next.

And no, I can't get rid of the flies. I live in the middle of 100
acres of orange groves, the ideal breeding ground for every sort of
insect under the sun. I've got a dozen fly-attractant traps out in
the back yard right now, they fill up in a day or so and it still
doesn't dent the population.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old July 9th 03, 02:32 AM
Rocky

Brian Henderson said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Any ideas would be appreciated.

When they're being bothered by the flies, bring them into the
house.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 9th 03, 12:13 PM

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
And no, I can't get rid of the flies. I live in the middle of 100
acres of orange groves, the ideal breeding ground for every sort of
insect under the sun.

???????
I don't understand why you think a citrus grove attracts flies. You'd be
bothered a lot worse if there were cattle pastures nearby. What kind of
flies are you talking about - stable, deer or horse flies.

I've got a dozen fly-attractant traps out in
the back yard right now, they fill up in a day or so and it still
doesn't dent the population.

.......Fly attractant? Probably they're working too well! What they found
with Japanese beetle traps using pheromones, is that they drew more beetles
into the immediate area. What's the attractant - pheromone? bait? Put
them further away from the house. Most likely you're only making a tiny
dent in the population. Massive trapping works for insect pests, but the
problem is that it has to be just that - massive.

......And if you can't bring the dogs in when the flies get bad, build them a
screen room so they at least can get some relief. Horse and deer flies
drive me nuts. I've seen dogs take off at a dead run when bothered by more
than a few of these flies.

Old July 9th 03, 07:55 PM
Brian Henderson

On 9 Jul 2003 01:32:23 GMT, Rocky wrote:

When they're being bothered by the flies, bring them into the
house.

That would be 24/7, not a very realistic solution. Besides, during
the summer months, the dogs almost entirely refuse to come into the
house, unlike the winter when they almost refuse to go out.
Old July 9th 03, 08:03 PM
Brian Henderson

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:02:46 -0400, Suja wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Like Matt said, bring the dogs into the house. My current dog has had
the tips of his ears chewed off, and I'm told that the most likely
culprit is horseflies. He had no hair there when we adopted him. After
a few months of living indoors, his hair has filled back in quite nicely.

The tips of one dog's ears are a bloody mess half the time from the
horseflies and they still refuse to come into the house. Even when we
lived in a place that had doggie doors to allow them free entry and
exit from the house, the dogs would go out in June and not come in
again until October.
Old July 10th 03, 01:27 AM
Rosa Palmén

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
It's that time of year again and the flies are out in force this year
and going after the ears of two of my dogs. I feel really sorry for
them and wish there was some way to really keep the flies off but
every product I've used has offered very temporary relief (less than
an hour most of the time) and I'm not sure what to try next.

And no, I can't get rid of the flies. I live in the middle of 100
acres of orange groves, the ideal breeding ground for every sort of
insect under the sun. I've got a dozen fly-attractant traps out in
the back yard right now, they fill up in a day or so and it still
doesn't dent the population.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here you can get tents for your garden, big enough for a table and a few
chairs. They are shaped like a square, the walls are made of mosquito net,
and the corners and roof is of some stronger material, that is waterproof
and also offers shade.
That kind of tent would give your dogs shade and also keep most of the flies
out even if you keep one of the doors a bit unzipped to let the dogs go in
and out.
I'm sure someone must be selling something like that near you.
If it's hard to find, then you could always try to build something similar
for your dogs, using a frame of some sort, and mosquito net. I'm pretty sure
that ones the dogs figure out that there aren't as many flies inside their
tent, and that it also provides a nice shade - you won't have to try to lure
them into the weird tent =)

I hope you got an idea of what i was trying to describe - if you can't
picture it, i could try to find a pic somewhere, just lemme know =)

Rosa

Old July 10th 03, 12:34 PM
Phyll

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:55:17 GMT, Brian Henderson
wrote:

On 9 Jul 2003 01:32:23 GMT, Rocky wrote:

When they're being bothered by the flies, bring them into the
house.

That would be 24/7, not a very realistic solution. Besides, during
the summer months, the dogs almost entirely refuse to come into the
house, unlike the winter when they almost refuse to go out.

Don't know about this product, it sounds good.

http://www.mosquito-zapper.com/horse-spray.htm

Did a google search because I had heard there are products used on
horses that can be used on dogs. Not sure if this is one and the
same.

Phyll

GSP Health Problem? Sasha Dog breeds 5 November 6th 03 04:55 AM
toy poodle problem andeeroo Dog breeds 1 October 17th 03 04:55 AM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Crate Training Problem [Jeerry/ Miicheal] 1michael23 Dog breeds 0 August 25th 03 10:04 PM
lab mix, scared of EVERYTHING...suggestions? Dave Austin Dog health 4 July 5th 03 03:36 AM