Barking Pyranees

Old October 7th 03, 09:06 PM

Default Barking Pyranees

I'm hoping that someone here can give some suggestions on how to teach my
Great Pyranees not to bark...or at least to reduce it!

KC is a 14 month male, non-neutered Pyr who has perfected barking ! Luckily
we live in the country with no neighbours to get upset, but the barking is
driving us crazy.

Some days he is great, hardly no noise from him at all, and yet at other
times he will constantly bark with no obvious stimulus....I guess something
is bothering him but it's not obvious to us.

When outdoors he is tied up with a 60ft long chain that gives him pleny of
space to roam, when indoors he has freedom to go where ever he wants.

No matter where he is he will bark, indoors, outdoors, you name it.

Things we have tried:

Spray water in face
Muzzle
Put him in his crate
Keep him indoors
Keep him outdoors
Electric shock collar

so far nothing works. The barking is so bad that the next step is to send
him back to the breeder, because it is driving us crazy.

Hellllpppp.

Old October 8th 03, 05:00 PM
megan

Yeah, what Jonathan said....I am no expert either, I have just had many
dogs, who were great and quirky and smart and....awwww heck, I just loved
them heaps....they were also well mannered and trained, without using any of
the methods you have mentioned.

You don't say what toys and games your dog has to play when he is alone in
the yard. Do you keep him out there tied up when you are home? Is he barking
at things....or at you in the house? You are aware that this breed is not
meant to be kept alone aren't you? They are big time into bonding and
spending a lot of time with other animals or people, if they can't do that,
they get a tad....off. As would you if you were left alone a lot but were a
real social person, you would get depressed.

When your dog barks, its polite to go see what is going on, otherwise, your
dog is going to think you are unaware of danger or trouble that may be
coming, so he will try to get your attention to assess the area with him, or
at least back up him if its trouble. The more you ignore, the more he tries
to tell you, "Come quick! Danger, big leaf coming in the yard! Back off
leaf, here comes my pack!", or he could be bored silly, "Hey you! Over
there! What are you doing? Do you see me? Hi! Wanna come over and let me go
so we can play? Hey, hey, hey...HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO" Yes, dogs have a sense
of manners too, just like we do, theirs are just different.

Your dog is also young, a teenager. He needs reminding, "Hey big fella we
hear you, yeah, I see that, a car drove by. Come over here, have a chewy
bone and lets go sit while I relax and watch the ball game. come here, good
fella....." distract him from whatever he is barking at, AFTER you
acknowledge that he was showing you something. You do this, by having him
leave the area WITH you, or give him something to do, like a ball, toy,
chewy....he can play with instead. Remember, tell him he is good for warning
you, praise him for his attention to detail, then reward him for a job well
done (you don't need to use just food, pats, scratches, silly talk, ball....
all are a reward, mix them up at will, the surprise will please him and keep
him wanting to please you to see what happens next) . You MUST respond to
him as soon as you can. If you are busy inside and have hands full, then
call out to him, "Hey fella, I hear you, hang on a sec, be right
there..."use the tone of voice you would if you were calling to a friend
that you will be right there in a sec, light, but sure. Then put down what
you are doing, open the door/walk into the room where the dog is...then do
the above good dog stuff....once he gets that yes, you will show up, you are
paying attention, you do think he is good AND he grows up a tad....you will
be doing ok and he will mellow out, it shouldn't take too long, if done
consistently.

You have a very smart breed there, they figure things out fast, if you give
them actual reasons for what you want, rather than have them blindly follow
you, (this breed isn't made that way) then you have a happy dog who
understands what's happening. They are made to do their job, without
supervision, to think for themselves and deal with things on their own. They
are also meant to work in tandem with others of their ilk, so can get lonely
very easily. This breed isn't the type to just do it, just cuz...they want
to know WHY, then they understand and will do it. You can't treat one like a
lab, or spaniel, because they aren't people working dogs, they are an
independent animal guard dog who see people as a good excuse to take a nap
while someone else watches the other animals.....a dog, is a dog, is a
dog....however, like a rose, different types need different handling and
space with which to grow, once you have mastered your individual big, huge,
white fluffy rose, then you will have the best of show and live a long happy
life together.

I fear, what you may have done, is get your dog into a mindset that whatever
it is he is trying to tell you, he is going to have to be very forceful
about it, because you aren't getting it. Even though he is trying to show
you its very important by still barking even though you are doing things
that frankly, can be scary, sudden and confusing for a young dog who is only
wanting to be understood and instead gets a face full of water or a shock
collar zinging him. It doesn't mean you have a dumb dog, it means you have a
dog who isn't understanding what you want him to do, because its not making
sense to him.

He may just think you are slow and need to be helped....contact your
breeder, they may know of a local breed group who can give you pointers
about your breed and issues about random barking....please don't give up
yet....if he is still giving you loving doggie kisses and playing with you,
then he hasn't given up on you yet....don't let him down, he wouldn't let
you down if he could help it....

Megan

On 8/10/03 5:18 AM, in article ,
"Jonathan" wrote:

Things we have tried:

Spray water in face
Muzzle
Put him in his crate
Keep him indoors
Keep him outdoors
Electric shock collar

I'm no expert (by a long chalk)- but how's about working with him- not
against him?

What worked well with my psycho P JRT was to thank him for alerting me to a
perceived threat (car starting, bird flying past, suspected wasp taking
off...), reward him for telling me, and then OWN THE RISK as pack leader.

It goes like:-
H:- WUFFF WUFF WUFF WUFFFFFFffffff (Theres summat out there- danger!)
Me:- OK- great thanks for that mate- heres yah treat (boggin shurrup dorg-
but I aint gonna say that)
H:- Grrr- (sure therers something out there, but I got the treat, and he's
talking responsibility for it, and, and, TREATS!).

The craik is you are leader, and he is like a sentry- he picks up on
something and warns you. If you go into 'war mode' by laying into the dog,
he associates the danger signal with trouble, which re-enforces his barking.
If you thank him for his valid contribution to the pack's safety, treat him,
then make sure he sees that you now 'own' the danger, he should be happy as
larry- as long as he accepts you position as Alpha male, and his as a peon.
If not, you may need a bit of help!

Having said all the above, my little s*d went from being an absolute
nightmare of a fence runner to a brilliant non-barker (I live next door to a
school playing ground- he would sit and sunbathe at playing timewith about
400 12 to 14 year olds lobbing trash over the fence not reacting at all)-
but has now become a little more territorial & has started yelling when the
door bell goes again. Time to re-enforce ... something!

Good luck, J.

(PS- you will probably have been labled a dog abuser, serial rapist, alien
abductee and had all the juicy nits of all the people in this group cut &
pasted out of context into a hate mail by now from a certain member of this
group- different, isn't he?)

Old October 8th 03, 06:54 PM
megan

Happy too...but I am not a professional or anything....thats just what we
have always done with our dogs, and it worked fine on the ones we had who
were the bark types.

Keep hope alive, and your dog by your side!!! LOL

Megan

Old October 8th 03, 06:54 PM
megan

wrote in message ...
[...]

Dobermann puppy - crate training, constant barking. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stephanie Dog behavior 9 October 1st 03 03:51 AM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 15 September 22nd 03 05:13 PM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM
incessant barking Perfidia Dog behavior 0 August 21st 03 12:18 PM