over protective dog

Old October 6th 03, 05:25 PM
Angela Arnold

Default over protective dog

Where in the name of G*d did I say my dogs were allowed to roam? I've owned
many dogs over the years and none of them were ever allowed to roam. All
were kept indoors and only let out on leash or to work/show. All my dogs
were well trained and most were obedience and agility winners. My current
dog is 9 months old and will be neutered at about 10-12 months (when I have
all my dogs neutered, my females are spayed after their first heat).
As for the stress and nutrition causing reproductive cancers in dogs,
"hogwash!".
Hormones are the main factors in any reproductive organ cancer, just as it
is in humans, as well as hereditary reasons. Diet does play a role in some
cancers, but not so much in reproductive cancers.
I've seen many dogs from the same litter being raised together, eating the
same food and being raised and handled the same way, some of these were
neutered/spayed and some weren't. In many of these cases the unaltered dogs
did have reproductive problems and cancers, where as the altered dogs did
not. Many of these dogs were not even past the age of 5 years, so age was
not a major factor. And yes, reproductive cancers are not a concern in a six
month old pup, but a young dog will tolerate surgery better than an older
dog. Although, I would never neuter or spay a dog at that young of an age.
Angel
"Matt Hogg" wrote in message
Neutering a dog is NOT going to solve ANY behavioural problems. All
neutering will do is slow down sex-drive, and (what wasnt mentioned) if
carried out too early - neutering can actually 'cause' problems in the
dog/bitch, bitches are more rpone to bladder infection if spayed too

early -
and the sexdrive will ot be eliminated from males either ( too early).
there ARe health problems relating to sex hormones in the older

dog/bitch -
but this is not to be worrying about with a 6m pup!
bitch seasons can be a problem for some owners (mess) which is why dog
diapers exist.
Males are not a problem at all if correctly trained, Angel why are your

dogs
allowed to 'roam' in the first place? exact a little control of your

animals
as an owner.
Male seasons do peak at approximately the same time as females (5-6ms),
during this time control of the male dog can be a little harder to

manage -
but never impossible -if it is the dog is too big/strong for you as an
owner/alpha dog leader.
a well trained, well raised dog is not a problem - dont try and fob

excuses
onto neutering being the solution - it never is when the problem appears
behavioural

Laurie

"Angela Arnold" wrote in message
om...
Dogs who are not spayed or neutered (and not used for breeding) are more
prone to prostate and testicular cancers (males) and ovarian, breast and
uterine cancers (females). They also tend to roam when they are in

season
(females) or there is a female in season elsewhere (males mainly, but

also
some females). They also tend to have more same sex aggression if left
"unfixed" and males are more likely to do territorial marking on any

upright
surface, including walls and table legs, especially in strange or less
frequented places.
Angel