Barking Belgian Malinois

Old October 8th 03, 01:08 AM
Arizona Snoopy

Default Barking Belgian Malinois

Hi,
My first post to a group, so I apologize in advance if I make a
protocol mistake...
I have a 5 year old Belgian Malinois - similar to a German Shepherd,
if you aren't familiar with them. My dog, Kodiak, is a neutered male
and is extremely territorial. He barks his head off when he sees
neighborhood cats outside (even though I have cats inside and he gets
along with them just fine). He barks like crazy if someone rings the
doorbell, and barks at the mailman, even though he sees him every day.
I don't really mind the barking, but when he's in the (fenced)
backyard, he barks at the cats that hang out on the fenceline, teasing
him. I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining. He has a very
loud "police dog" bark that can be heard on the next block.

Anyone know how to solve this? He even barks when he's inside and
those cats are outside, and he won't stop. He gets so excited that he
starts whining and running in circles. I've tried snapping my
fingers, yelling at him, distracting him with a toy, tried squirting
him with weak vinegar/water solution, and nothing has worked. His vet
says his breed is just very territorial and nothing to be done about
it - that he perceives the cats on the fence to be threats to his
environment. Has anyone any experience in teaching a dog not to bark?
It's particularly important to me that he DOES bark when it's
appropriate - because I originally bought him for protection and a big
dog is a great deterrent to people who might try to break in, etc. So
I don't want to lose his bark altogether, but to teach him what is
appropriate - or am I just dreaming....

Arizona Snoopy
Old October 8th 03, 02:03 PM
Gwen Watson

Arizona Snoopy wrote:

Hi,
My first post to a group, so I apologize in advance if I make a
protocol mistake...

Welcome and don't worry!

I have a 5 year old Belgian Malinois - similar to a German Shepherd,

Not really similar at all. I have both and to me their personalities
as well as drive and other things make them quite different.
But originally I did think the above.

if you aren't familiar with them.

Very.

My dog, Kodiak, is a neutered male
and is extremely territorial.

Quite common in the breed. Clovis is so territorial she doesn't even
like humans too close to me out in public. She is quite possessive.

He barks his head off when he sees
neighborhood cats outside (even though I have cats inside and he gets
along with them just fine).

This is common as well of just about any breed of dog. Cats are
sort of like prey you see.

He barks like crazy if someone rings the
doorbell, and barks at the mailman, even though he sees him every day.

Well all my dogs do this. Blade doesn't like knocking on the doors much
but once a person enters they all greet with wagging tails. Unless
you are my MIL and then Clovis hates her.

I don't really mind the barking, but when he's in the (fenced)
backyard, he barks at the cats that hang out on the fenceline, teasing
him. I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining. He has a very
loud "police dog" bark that can be heard on the next block.

Are you leaving him outside during the day? This could definitely
be a problem and your neighbors may in fact complain. It is
probably best to leave him in your house if he is barking this
much and is being a nuisance. Barking is an outlet for
dogs.

Anyone know how to solve this? He even barks when he's inside and
those cats are outside, and he won't stop. He gets so excited that he
starts whining and running in circles. I've tried snapping my
fingers, yelling at him, distracting him with a toy, tried squirting
him with weak vinegar/water solution, and nothing has worked.

You did not mention taking him to training class or a training
professional
that could help with this solution. I am sure there are several in your
area highly recommended. Sometimes the negative attention becomes
something the dog will seek. Clicker training does lots for many dogs.
Have you tried any clicker training? You could try by clicking the
minute he quits barking and offering an immediate treat.

His vet
says his breed is just very territorial and nothing to be done about
it - that he perceives the cats on the fence to be threats to his
environment. Has anyone any experience in teaching a dog not to bark?

Once it is a habit it can be hard to break but it can be done through
much consistency and love.

It's particularly important to me that he DOES bark when it's
appropriate - because I originally bought him for protection and a big
dog is a great deterrent to people who might try to break in, etc. So
I don't want to lose his bark altogether, but to teach him what is
appropriate - or am I just dreaming....

Arizona Snoopy

Well there is the "Speak" and click
and the "no speak" and click commands as well
and you could try teaching him this.

At this point it is important to start with
"no speak" or any other simple command
that means essentially that.
Don't give the command first. Wait until
he is quiet then click over treat say
good "no speak". But hey I am sure
you will get much better advice
from the people on this NG that
are trainers as a profession or hobby.
I am not. I just love dogs and I do
own a Malinois and Clovis does have
this barking tendency as well.

Good luck and hope many people hear give
you advice much better than mine.

I would seek a professional trainer if I were
you. One that uses positive reinforcement methods,
preferably.

Gwen

Old October 8th 03, 09:54 PM
Tallgrass

(Arizona Snoopy) wrote in message . com...
Hi,
My first post to a group, so I apologize in advance if I make a
protocol mistake...
I have a 5 year old Belgian Malinois - similar to a German Shepherd,
if you aren't familiar with them. My dog, Kodiak, is a neutered male
and is extremely territorial. He barks his head off when he sees
neighborhood cats outside (even though I have cats inside and he gets
along with them just fine). He barks like crazy if someone rings the
doorbell, and barks at the mailman, even though he sees him every day.
I don't really mind the barking, but when he's in the (fenced)
backyard, he barks at the cats that hang out on the fenceline, teasing
him. I'm afraid my neighbors will start complaining. He has a very
loud "police dog" bark that can be heard on the next block.
snipped here
Arizona Snoopy

Another thing to keep in mind is that you have one of the herding
breeds, which in my biased opinion suggests that they will have a
greater need to bark. He is announcing to you a perceived threat to
his herd/flock.

Is your fenceline metal? Maybe you could hotwire it for a week or
two, keep the cats out.

Is your dog getting enough exercise every day, so that he is tired
out? Also, he needs to have a regular job to occupy his mind and
body, since he cannot herd on a regular basis. Obedience work can
help fill this void. Jogging, roadwork, treadmill...these can all
help keep your pooch tired out.

Some people would suggest bark collars, but I would prefer finding a
way to manage the dog and his environment so that his need to bark is
reduced/eliminated.

Linda H.

Old October 15th 03, 09:44 PM
Arizona Snoopy

Hi Gwen,
Just to answer your question - I never leave Kodiak outside. I don't
believe in "outdoor" pets. Grew up on a farm, too, and we had lots of
outdoor domestic animals - dogs and cats in addition to the horses and
cows and sheep - but I now live in a big city and my cats and dog live
inside with me.
Thanks for the suggestions, though. I will check into training.
-snoopy

Barking Pyranees Dog behavior 9 October 8th 03 06:54 PM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 15 September 22nd 03 05:13 PM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM
Barking Question Leah Dog behavior 0 September 21st 03 05:02 PM
Need Some Help with my Belgian Malinois joe Dog breeds 2 July 21st 03 11:33 PM