My dog had to have her leg amputated. Any info/advice?

Old July 9th 03, 06:14 PM
kristen

Default My dog had to have her leg amputated. Any info/advice?

My 8 year old GSD/mutt mix had to have ler right front leg amputated
on July 1st. A lumber truck accidentally backed up over her paw. She
only broke one bone, but tore the tissues and ligaments in her paw to
pieces.

Has anyone had experience with this? She had the surgery on 7/1, she
came home with us on 7/2. She is getting around fine, but she is just
not the same. She never wants to go outside, you have to BEG her to
get off the deck and walk around a little. I realize she is probably a
little sore and getting used to her new body, but how long should this
last? Its a little depressing for us to see her like this. I will ask
the vet all these questions on Saturday when she has her stitches
taken out, but I really want to here from people who have dealt with
this. I know her other front leg must be tired and sore from holding
up all her weight. She is about 75 pounds.

She will go outside and only last about 2 minutes of moving before she
wants to go back in the house. We have a 1 year old black lab that is
missing his playmate. I've heard so many stories about how surprised
you will be with 3 legged dogs, and how they bounce back so quickly
and you would never know they only had 3 legs...but how quick is
QUICK? Obviously not 1 week...maybe 2 or 3?

Thanks for any info!

Kristen
Old July 9th 03, 07:37 PM
Jo Wolf

Let's see... the surgery was done on 1 July. This is 8 or 9 July. She
had very major surgery. Probably still hurts a bit to move. And she
hasn't re-set her balance methods all the way yet.

Crickey! Let the poor blighter recover! Reward and praise for going
outside, up and down Any steps., getting up and down from bed/floor,
coming when called. In a week or two, she'll be fine, and you can treat
her quite normally.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 9th 03, 07:39 PM
Jo Wolf

Oh, yeh... and she ain't no spring chicken! This is a middle-aged to
older dog. She is not going to recover like a 2 year old or want to
play like a 1 year old this close to surgery.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia