6 month old Yorkie WILL NOT housetrain!!

Old October 8th 03, 07:28 PM
Spike's mom

Default 6 month old Yorkie WILL NOT housetrain!!

We bought Spike when he was 3 months old. At that time we started
using puppy pads. He would go on them *if he was near one*, but
prefers to go on our oriental rug. As soon as he goes he is told NO
and taken outside.
Outside is another story... he wants to play, sniff and discover all
the neat things outside. He has NO interest in relieving himself out
there. (normal puppy, I know). If he does relieve himself outside he
is given a small piece of cheese as a reward.
He's now 6 months old and is still relieving himself wherever he wants
in the house. I am amazed that a 4lb dog can hold that much urine! He
might go 5 times in a half hour. He also squats to deficate but is at
the same time looking for me, and if our eyes meet he runs away. I
take this behavior as him knowing he is doing something wrong
(although I may not know what the hell I'm talking about?!). He will
go in a corner or hide behind a table to deficate.
He does not give me any sign he has to go... no sniffing or
circling... it's just a quick drop of the hind quarters and he
relieves himself.
I have almost every housetraining manual out there, I've consulted
with my vet, and have tried everything in those books and told to me
by my vet.
I love Spike but cannot have a dog that is not housetrained.
Should my last resort be crate training? From what I understand the
puppy would stay most of the time in the crate except when he is taken
out to relieve himself. It sounds like a horrible way to train a dog
and I'd prefer to NOT go that route as I believe it would affect him
in a negative way.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know there has to be
something I can do.
BTW, I'm home all the time so I can do whatever is needed.
Thank you in advance.
Old October 8th 03, 07:36 PM
Emily Carroll

Outside is another story... he wants to play, sniff and discover all
the neat things outside. He has NO interest in relieving himself out
there. (normal puppy, I know). If he does relieve himself outside he
is given a small piece of cheese as a reward.

Does he wear a leash outside? Put a 4' (or 6, whatever's your shortest) on
him, walk him to where you want him to go, and stand there. Don't say
anything or do anything.

He's now 6 months old and is still relieving himself wherever he wants
in the house. I am amazed that a 4lb dog can hold that much urine! He
might go 5 times in a half hour.

Have him checked for a UTI--many times, failure to housebreak is medical.

He also squats to deficate but is at
the same time looking for me, and if our eyes meet he runs away. I
take this behavior as him knowing he is doing something wrong
(although I may not know what the hell I'm talking about?!).

He thinks your presence is what's wrong--not the defecating on the floor.

Should my last resort be crate training? From what I understand the
puppy would stay most of the time in the crate except when he is taken
out to relieve himself. It sounds like a horrible way to train a dog
and I'd prefer to NOT go that route as I believe it would affect him
in a negative way.

Oh, no...that's not how you housebreak a puppy with a crate. The puppy goes
in the crate when you cannot supervise him.

If you visit my webpage (in siggy) and follow the links to the Articles
section of my dog page, I have a description of how I've housebroken my 3
month Lab pup.

--
Emily Carroll
http://www.geocities.com/diamonds_in...yes/index.html

---

Old October 9th 03, 03:26 AM
Sunflower

"Spike's mom" wrote in message
om...
Should my last resort be crate training? From what I understand the

puppy would stay most of the time in the crate except when he is taken
out to relieve himself. It sounds like a horrible way to train a dog
and I'd prefer to NOT go that route as I believe it would affect him
in a negative way.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know there has to be
something I can do.
BTW, I'm home all the time so I can do whatever is needed.
Thank you in advance.

Crate training should have been your FIRST resort, not your last one. Dogs
are den animals and LIKE their crates. It's homey, like a burrow. After
crate training when the animal is fully trustworthy many will just go and
hang out in their crate because it's a secure feeling and they like it. It
is NOT cruel at all, unless you leave the animal kenneled for 12 hours a day
while you are out of the house.

Sunflower

Old October 9th 03, 05:35 AM
Child

"Spike's mom" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thats not crate training, no.

I know a four pound yorkie and he pretty hard to housetrain. Much harder
than most other dogs i know. It took literally months.

the crate is useful for when you cannot watch spike. The crate is not for
keeping the dog in all the time. Instead, to make it simpler for you, keep
Spike on a leash tied around your waist all the time so that you can watch
him. Take him outside a million times a day. Keep up the praise and treats
outdoors. Indoors watch him like a hawk on that leash. You see him start
to squat interrupt and pick the bugger up and run his furry ass outside.
Don't let him sniff or play, just stand still and wait. Patience is key.
Wait and wait and wait. When he goes outside, give him the cheese and jump
up and down and cheer and play with him. Let him walk.

Also, make sure you clean the carpets well with natures miracle.