so what dogs CAN we touch?

Old October 8th 03, 11:03 PM
EmilyS

Default so what dogs CAN we touch?

I gather that many folks on this group feel that no one should touch
any dog without the owner's permission. Even if the dog is staked out
in public and is begging for attention.

That just seems like cruel and inhuman punishment. To doglovers!

I guess I'm puzzled at the notion that some people with dogs that
don't like people (or don't like to be touched by people) still stake
them out in public. As well as the notion that it is impossible for a
savvy dogperson to know what strange dog it's safe to touch.

Though I see the point of people being protective of their dogs, and
feeling that strangers have no more right to pet them without
permission then they do to kiss their children.

So, are there any circumstances where it's ok to touch a dog not your
own?

EmilyS
Old October 8th 03, 11:43 PM

On 8 Oct 2003 15:03:28 -0700 EmilyS whittled these words:
I gather that many folks on this group feel that no one should touch
any dog without the owner's permission. Even if the dog is staked out
in public and is begging for attention.

That just seems like cruel and inhuman punishment. To doglovers!

I guess I'm puzzled at the notion that some people with dogs that
don't like people (or don't like to be touched by people) still stake
them out in public.

Well - I *don't* leave my dog "staked" in public anymore exactly because
I thought it was unfair to the dog that people couldn't just let it relax
comfortably. I don't like it, I don't think people should do it, I
think its rude, but I don't think its "wrong" ( as in bad or evil or
anything - merely an annoyance). Since I know people will do it I don't
leave my dogs in that situation. Although the need to refrain irks me, I
understand that people will bother my dogs if I leave them on a down stay
on the sidewalk, so I don't do that.

BUT people also bother my dogs when they are in the car. Sorry. that's
just wrong. I've found them sticking their hands into my car. That's
bad, wrong, and someone should get their hand slapped. So now I've had
to take steps to prevent people from being able to reach the dogs.

As well as the notion that it is impossible for a
savvy dogperson to know what strange dog it's safe to touch.

Though I see the point of people being protective of their dogs, and
feeling that strangers have no more right to pet them without
permission then they do to kiss their children.

Actually I can't think of anything of mine I would be OK with somone
playing with unasked. Around here we have "window washers" who wash your
car windows unasked in the hopes that you will pay them for it. I don't
like THAT either. If I park my bicycle on the public street, locked of
course, I don't want to come back and find someone lifting it to
deterimine its weight, spinning its wheels, squeezing the handbrakes etc.
Obviously the bike doesn't mind, and assuming its still locked it isn't
going anywhere but KEEP YER MITTS OFF MY BIKE!

So, are there any circumstances where it's ok to touch a dog not your
own?

1. When the owner gives permission.
2. When necessary for the health or safety of the dog.

I'm sure there are other circumstances but those are the only ones that
leap to my mind.

Diane Blackman

Old October 9th 03, 03:37 AM
dejablues

This may seem weird, but I don't generally touch any dogs, not even my own,
except for health care and grooming. I treat them well and talk nicely to
them, but I don't generally touch them. They are just not attractive to me
in that way.
I would never touch a strange dog either, especially one that is tied up
somewhere.

om...