Housebreaking woes

Old October 10th 03, 05:07 AM
Richard Evans

Default Housebreaking woes

I have a neutered male, who is now a year old and still not completely
housebroken.

- I have to keep him under constant supervision. If I'm in the same
room with him, he will ask to go out. If I'm not, he just goes.

- There is one room in the house that he considers a free zone. Even
if I am in the same room with him, if the door to that room is open he
will go there without even telling me he needs to go out.

- I have never been able to catch him in the act, and therefore have
not been able to discourage him.

We go weeks, even months with no problem, but only by virtue of
keeping the door to that room closed and keeping him under close
supervision. I'm afraid by this point there's nothing I can do with
him.

Any suggestions?

Dick Evans
Old October 10th 03, 05:21 AM
Rocky

Richard Evans said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Any suggestions?

All I can suggest is to supervise even closer or put him on a
schedule, this is - you take him outside when you think he has
to go. Treat and praise when he goes and pretty soon he'll be
begging to go outside to pee.

Also, give his pee room a thorough cleaning with an enzymatic
cleaner like Nature's Miracle. A black light can help you
identify the older spots you'll have to clean.

Old October 10th 03, 01:03 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Rocky wrote in
:

All I can suggest is to supervise even closer or put him on a
schedule, this is - you take him outside when you think he has
to go. Treat and praise when he goes and pretty soon he'll be
begging to go outside to pee.

Also, give his pee room a thorough cleaning with an enzymatic
cleaner like Nature's Miracle. A black light can help you
identify the older spots you'll have to clean.

In addition to Matt's excellent suggestions, do you do anything with the
dog in all of the rooms of the house? I ask because we had a problem
where Moogli would go to one specific room to go to the bathroom while we
were house-training him. After a bit of thinking, we realized that we
never did anything with him in that room, so he never really saw it as
part of his den. All it took was about a week of playing 20-30 minutes a
night with him in that room and he started seeing that room as part of
his den.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your
beer cans.'

Old October 10th 03, 04:50 PM
Richard Evans

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

In addition to Matt's excellent suggestions, do you do anything with the
dog in all of the rooms of the house?

That's a thought. No, we don't.. In fact, we take extra precautions to
keep him out of the room. A dog trainer friend suggested that if we
kept him from the room long enough it would extinguish the behavior,
but it hasn't worked yet.

As for Matt's suggestion on closer supervision, it's virtually
impossible to supervise him any more closely. I work at home, and the
dog has been joined to my hip 24/7 for a year now. In the first few
months I walked him every hour. He was perfectly happy to go outside,
do his business, then get his reward. He was also perfectly happy to
come back in and drop another load behind my back while I was hanging
up his leash. For months after that, I never let him off the leash,
even in the house. After about six months, he was trained in every
room but one.

Whenever I find a mess in the room, I resume total supervision. That
goes on for weeks or a couple of months. I start to relax, give him a
little more freedom. Just when I think it's over, I find another mess
to clean up. Yesterday I left him unattended for about an hour and he
was OK. Then last night, while he was sitting at my feet in the living
room, he somehow slipped away unnoticed and dropped a load. Had the
door to the room ben closed, he undoubtedly would have asked to go
out, but he seems to fell that the room *is* outside.

Also, FWIW, we have no problem with him peeing, just pooping. And it's
a big room (16x32) and he always uses the same spot. I've been
thinking about setting up the folding kennel on that spot and keeping
him confined there until he asks to go out.

Dick