Smooth Service dogs for Alzheimer patients

Old October 11th 03, 11:26 PM
Chris Jung

Default Smooth Service dogs for Alzheimer patients

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1BA21E26

from the article:

The biggest challenge was finding the right dog for the task. "We
unsuccessfully tried this with many types of dogs, until we got Polly, who
is a collie shorthair that came to us from Finland," said Ben-Yosef. "These
dogs seemed appropriate for Alzheimers because they have a calm nature, high
intelligence and are very sociable with an excellent sense of smell and good
spatial sense."

Chris and her lovely smoothies, Zeffie & Pablo

Old October 12th 03, 12:53 AM
Sunni12

The biggest challenge was finding the right dog for the task. "We
unsuccessfully tried this with many types of dogs, until we got Polly, who
is a collie shorthair that came to us from Finland," said Ben-Yosef. "These
dogs seemed appropriate for Alzheimers because they have a calm nature, high
intelligence and are very sociable with an excellent sense of smell and good
spatial sense."

I understand what service dogs do and what they are for. But I don't grasp how
they can help an Altzheimers patient. In order to become a team with a service
animal, don't you have to know what your needs are in order to tell the animal
what to do?

All the Altzheimer pts I have known, don't have even remember they have the
condition by the time they need help. The main problem has been memory loss
related issues. How can a dog help with that.

I'm not trying to critize, I'm just very curious.

-sunny

Old October 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Merry Darr

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003, 11:53pm (MST+7) From: (Sunni12)
wrote:

I understand what service dogs do and what they are for. But I don't
grasp how they can help an Altzheimers patient. In order to become a
team with a service animal, don't you have to know what your needs are
in order to tell the animal what to do?
All the Altzheimer pts I have known, don't have even remember they have
the condition by the time they need help. The main problem has been
memory loss related issues. How can a dog help with that.
I'm not trying to critize, I'm just very curious.
-sunny

Sunny,

I have been very familiar with this condition for the past 6 years. My
mother had it. For three of those years, my mom was in pretty good
shape, but she could not be trusted with cooking and she would get lost
when going for walks. From what I read, it sounds like the dogs are
trained to help people in the early stages. It is during that time when
the dogs would be a god send. The early stages are very painful to the
victims. They know they have a problem and it is so frustrating. They
lose their independence. In my small town, if my mother had have had a
trained dog, I could still have let her walk to the store for an item or
two. (She was very good about memory aids like lists) A well trained dog
could prevent cooking disasters.... the main reason we could never leave
her alone. She knew she wasn't supposed to cook, but she would forget.
Scarey even when someone was home with her. A trained dog could alert a
caregiver when the patient got up and started wondering at night. Also,
when my mom woke up at night, she would be disoriented and frightened. A
dog by her side would have helped there too. A major problem with the
disease also is sometimes victims get very agitated. Fortunately for my
mom, she had a cat who helped to calm her down in those situations.
Also, my mom got to where she didn't want to talk to anybody, because
she couldn't answer questions. She would talk away to her kitty though.
I think it's a wonderful idea, especially for real dog lovers.
Merry

Old October 12th 03, 07:15 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Chris Jung" wrote in message
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K1BA21E26

from the article:

The biggest challenge was finding the right dog for the task. "We
unsuccessfully tried this with many types of dogs, until we got Polly, who
is a collie shorthair that came to us from Finland," said Ben-Yosef.

"These
dogs seemed appropriate for Alzheimers because they have a calm nature,

high
intelligence and are very sociable with an excellent sense of smell and

good
spatial sense."

Yay, smoothies! :-)
An aside...Coda & I start our therapy dog workshop next weekend.
Hopefully we'll do well, and eventually be able to visit the alzhiemer
w/ dementia patients. A good friend of ours operates a care facility
specifically for Alzhiemer w/ dementia patients, and they've got a live-in
Golden Retreiver. The vast majority of the patients just love having
a dog around to just visit with simply because the dogs don't judge them.
I hope to be able to take Coda there on visits if we pass the graduation.
Shelly & The Boys