6 month old Yorkie WILL NOT housetrain!!

Old October 8th 03, 07:28 PM
Spike's mom

Default 6 month old Yorkie WILL NOT housetrain!!

We bought Spike when he was 3 months old. At that time we started
using puppy pads. He would go on them *if he was near one*, but
prefers to go on our oriental rug. As soon as he goes he is told NO
and taken outside.
Outside is another story... he wants to play, sniff and discover all
the neat things outside. He has NO interest in relieving himself out
there. (normal puppy, I know). If he does relieve himself outside he
is given a small piece of cheese as a reward.
He's now 6 months old and is still relieving himself wherever he wants
in the house. I am amazed that a 4lb dog can hold that much urine! He
might go 5 times in a half hour. He also squats to deficate but is at
the same time looking for me, and if our eyes meet he runs away. I
take this behavior as him knowing he is doing something wrong
(although I may not know what the hell I'm talking about?!). He will
go in a corner or hide behind a table to deficate.
He does not give me any sign he has to go... no sniffing or
circling... it's just a quick drop of the hind quarters and he
relieves himself.
I have almost every housetraining manual out there, I've consulted
with my vet, and have tried everything in those books and told to me
by my vet.
I love Spike but cannot have a dog that is not housetrained.
Should my last resort be crate training? From what I understand the
puppy would stay most of the time in the crate except when he is taken
out to relieve himself. It sounds like a horrible way to train a dog
and I'd prefer to NOT go that route as I believe it would affect him
in a negative way.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know there has to be
something I can do.
BTW, I'm home all the time so I can do whatever is needed.
Thank you in advance.