Recent Help with my Yorkie Terrier

Old October 12th 03, 05:36 AM
Mea305

Default Recent Help with my Yorkie Terrier

Hello all:

The other evening, I placed a message on the news group concerning my newly (I
am referring to a time element of, perhaps, a month, perhaps) adopted Terrier;
in doing so, I think I caused a little bit of hostility on the group, which was
not my intention.

In any event, here, I will try to give some additional information, in hopes
that I might be able to retrieve some useful inputs.

First (and whether it's relevent, is not that important to me), his name is
Einstein. I named him and that was the name I wanted for a similar pet when I
was a young lad. And, the name fits; he is quite the intelligent one).

Secondly, the only reason I think that he is scared of the other (female) dog
of a similar size, is that he (Einstein) will always come to me when the other
dog comes within eyesight, and hide his head in under my arm. I think Einstein
is about 1 year old, perhaps maybe 18 months, based on his activity level,
etc., but I am not an expert. But, Einstein definitely has "issues" with the
other dog, but there has never been an incident (aggressive nature, etc.) and
we are both feeling good about that. The other dog, a Chihuahua, is not as
active, as she is over 10 years of age. However, she does present somewhat of
a "threat" to Einstein, at least that's the way it seems to me.

Regarding the situation with the night times, we tried the bed situation, and
because Einstein gets up and down from the bed at night, my wife does not sleep
well, and, it does not take long to decide what my priorities should be, now
should it? So, because the female dog sleeps in the bathroom, on a pillow
(under a blanket (anyone with a Chihuahua will know that, because of no coat,
they are typically seen seeking such an environment). Because Eisntein can no
longer sleep in the bed, the only other situation (to us), at least during
times when we are not awake or away from the apartment, is to ensure that the
two dogs are separated and that Einstein does not have any close access to the
bedroom door, as he just barks louder.

We are "thinking" in these terms -- that he will eventually get used to the
fact that, when the sun goes down and we are getting ready for bed, he will get
used to it. However, now he is generally sleeping all day long, which is a
sure sign that he is awake all night long.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Actually a little bit of benadryl had the opposite affect on him, so we quit
using that. We are not going to use anything else, of course, until we consult
with a professional.

Thanks,

Mark