Dominance-aggression.

Old October 12th 03, 03:25 PM
Lone Hansen

Default Dominance-aggression.

HI All.

Over the last 2 days it has become clear that we aren't just dealing
with jealousy issues. New Guy is a very dominant dog as he gets to feel more
comfortable and at home here he becomes more pushy. He has had several goes
at Ezra over the last 2 days, nothing terrible serious yet, as we have
managed to get in between so far. I have to admit though that I have a
feeling that it will get worse and not better as he takes care to keep an
eye on when Ezra gets attention. When she gets attention or thinks about
seeking contact with one of us, he will cut her off, growl and make sure
that she is pushed aside. I have so far managed to tell him off and push him
away but he has had a go at me. Friday evening he had jumped up on the sofa,
I told him to get off. He ignored me, I then put my hand on his collar to
lead him of the sofa and he barred his teeth and growled at me. I have seen
that he isn't afraid of using his teeth(at the vets) so he got booted off
the sofa before he had a chance of biting me. He has also had a go at
Morten. It happened yesterday when Morten went to take a piece of wood from
him(Ezra had been playing with the piece), he growled at Morten, who then
decided not to push it further.

So New Guy is very sweet and loving when things go his way. And very
dominant and not afraid of using his size and teeth for getting things his
way.

Morten thinks that it will all get better as he gets a chance of
settling in, I am not so sure about that as he is getting more and more
pushy every day the more he feels that he belongs here. I am not sure that I
am up for the task of working with him. Having one iffy dog is enough for
me, I don't need 2 that I have to keep an eye on. Not only that but fear
aggression and dominance is 2 very different things and I don't know
anything about the later.
I also have to think about that it is not only Ezra's and our safety
that we have to think about but also other people and dog's safety.

Returning him to the rescue doesn't seem like the way to go either. He
needs to be in a home environment with people who know what they are doing
and who are up for the task, as he didn't show any signs of dominance at the
rescue.

he is a lovely dog and has great potential I am just not sure that we
are the ones for him.
It would be so much easier if I knew that we could work with him without
putting Ezra at risk and without putting us or others at risk, but I don't
know that.

I am sure this is all punishment for me saying that I was sure that he
would be a piece of cake and that after dealing with Ezra I was prepared for
this. Well I take it all back, I wasn't prepared for this
What is it about me and having these problem dogs coming my way ?

One other point. His description at the rescue said: sweet, loving,
insecure not guard dog. Well sweet and loving yes. Insecure no. Guard dog !
Let me put it is this way, he is worse than Ezra with reaction to sounds
outside, so with the combined effort of the 2 of them our house is like a
fort. There is no chance in hell of anyone getting a toe on our property
without me knowing it.

Lone

---

Old October 12th 03, 03:51 PM
Tara O.

Yikes, I know what you're going through

First and foremost, find his triggers and avoid them at all costs. You
can't begin to work with dominance aggression if you intentionally set him
off. The more chances he has to show you he's boss, the firmer in that
belief he'll become, IMO. Hardcore NILIF (and I do mean hardcore) tends to
work with this kind of behavior. He needs to be shown, in a non-physical,
non-threatening way, who is boss and that its *not* him.

I think that Lynn can probably help you on this one. I'll see if I can
locate the links to dominance aggression on the net that I used a year ago
and email them to you.

--
Tara

Old October 12th 03, 04:08 PM
Lone Hansen

"Tara O." wrote in message
Yikes, I know what you're going through

First and foremost, find his triggers and avoid them at all costs. You
can't begin to work with dominance aggression if you intentionally set him
off. The more chances he has to show you he's boss, the firmer in that
belief he'll become, IMO. Hardcore NILIF (and I do mean hardcore) tends

work with this kind of behavior. He needs to be shown, in a non-physical,
non-threatening way, who is boss and that its *not* him.

I think that Lynn can probably help you on this one. I'll see if I can
locate the links to dominance aggression on the net that I used a year ago
and email them to you.

--
Tara

- Thanks Tara that would be great.

Although I have to admit that I mostly feel like getting him the hell out of
here. It is a huge responsibility to take on to begin work with him.

From what I can tell his triggers so far a when Ezra seeks attention
from us, when Ezra gets attention, trying to make him do something he
doesn't feel like doing, like getting out of the way, off the sofa etc.
Basically anything that doesn't fit within his picture of his home.
I can't not give Ezra any attention at all so it is difficult. The other
things we could work with. Mind you I don't know a thing about dominance
aggression, but I have a feeling that he would do best in a dog and child
free home as some of his triggers aren't there then.
Then we have the problems of finding such a home. If we don't keep him,
we have to return him to the rescue, and I am not sure that they will have a
foster home for him, and having a behaviourist coming by once a week to look
at him, won't help him.
It sure isn't easy.

Lone

---

Old October 12th 03, 04:10 PM
Laura Arlov

Hi Lone,

I'm so sorry to hear that New Guy is proving so challenging.
He seems like a dog who needs a break, but he also sounds
very demanding.

I have no advice to offer, just empathy, and my breeder's
oft-proffered comment: "In re-homing a dog, you need to
allow 2-4 weeks for his true personality to emerge. At that
point the potential new owners know what they're dealing with,
and have a chance to make the right decision about whether
the dog belongs together with them."

It will be tough for you and Morten and Ezra either way,
I would think.

But I wouldn't assume that the rescue people willfully gave
you incorrect information...New Guy probably perceived
the situation very differently there.

Thinking of you
Laura and Angel

--