"Idiots Guide to PBs"??

Old October 12th 03, 08:17 PM
Chris Williams

Default "Idiots Guide to PBs"??

What generalizations are safe to make about Pitties? Is there a site
or pamphlet that encapsulates information you'd deem accurate?
It's my job to 'promote' volunteers from walking easy dogs to stronger
ones, which includes, of course, the PBs. It would be handy to have
something brief to clue them in.
JohnR, if you see this, you must face this all the time. How do you
educate your helpers?

http://community.webtv.net/k9apple/Howloweenies

Old October 13th 03, 12:32 AM
culprit

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
What generalizations are safe to make about Pitties? Is there a site
or pamphlet that encapsulates information you'd deem accurate?
It's my job to 'promote' volunteers from walking easy dogs to stronger
ones, which includes, of course, the PBs. It would be handy to have
something brief to clue them in.
JohnR, if you see this, you must face this all the time. How do you
educate your helpers?

i don't know that it's safe to make any generalization about any animal...

that said, my generalization is that it's pretty hard to break a pit bull's
spirit. i've seen some rescue dogs who came from terrible situations
(neglect, abuse, fighting), and most of them are still happy to see people,
and will approach with tails wagging. notice i said most. there will
always be a few who are terrified, and a scared pit bull can be a dangerous
thing.
my vet used to practice on Oklahoma, where dog fighting was still legal
until a few years back. "game bred" pit bulls are very common there and
fighting is still a popular activity. she said that she's seen some pretty
torn up dogs in her practice. and the thing she found amazing is that they
would still wag their tails and lick her hand as she treated them.

here are the sites i refer folks to when they ask me about the breed:

www.workingpitbull.com
www.pbrc.net
www.badrap.org

-kelly

Old October 13th 03, 03:16 AM
EmilyS

(Chris Williams) wrote in message ...
What generalizations are safe to make about Pitties? Is there a site
or pamphlet that encapsulates information you'd deem accurate?
It's my job to 'promote' volunteers from walking easy dogs to stronger
ones, which includes, of course, the PBs. It would be handy to have
something brief to clue them in.
JohnR, if you see this, you must face this all the time. How do you
educate your helpers?

www.badrap.org
www.realpitbull.com
have some great info on responsible ownership/temperament etc.
The actual book PIT BULL FOR DUMMIES by C Coile had some editing
problems and has some bad stuff in it. I know a lot of people like
Joe Stahlkup's inexpensive books for Barrons publs.

EmilyS