Update on Bagel and Hannah

Old October 9th 03, 02:14 PM
Nessa

Default Update on Bagel and Hannah

Well I have to admit things are going pretty well.

We've been getting to the park a couple of times a week and that seems
to be helping. One of the reasons we can go now is that Bagel's
recall has improved tremendously. Of couse his recall is "Bagel want
a yummie?" and he gets one but dang that dog is in my face (I guess
reducing his food helped too). He's not as sluggish and actually has
been seen running in the last week or so. I'm sure cooler weather has
helped there too. Sarah did get pictures of this for those that
don't believe it.

He willingly is leashed to the short leash on the floor nightly. I
walk him upstairs on his leash and collar in case we have an incident
but he willingly stands to be leashed and have his other collar
removed. He settles nicely and has been sleeping all night most
nights. In the morning when we get up we take an extra ten minutes
and he is INVITED on to the bed for some morning pets and scritches.

Interestingly enough I had thought things were going so well that I
started leashing him on a longer leash and letting him sleep ON THE
BED. WRONG!!! BAD MOVE... his attitude started back up after 3
nights. Pooping in the house and just dissing me a bit. Back on
the floor and within 2 days he's back to being his smiling pleasant
"Ok I'm not top dog" self.

We have not had a chance to get to class due to holidays, weather and
work obligations but maybe NEXT week. He is great on commands as long
as he is not distracted so now we have to start working on commands
with distractions. He has had one or two incidents at the park but he
was provoked by some nasty dogs. Last night an intact Pit Bull tried
to egg him on and he just walked away.

I actually have been able to take things from him without a fight
although I'm still hesitant to do so if he takes them back to his
blanket in the crate area. He will however willingly trade ANYTHING
for food. If what he trades is something he can have (like an apple he
got off the ground) I will return it to him.

All in All bagel is a much more pleasant dog lately. He does still
steal Rosci's balls and then roll on them. In fact, last week, he was
rolling in something WITHOUT Rosci's ball (I think Hannah had it in
fact) and Rosci stood there and watched him waiting for him to get up
so she could get her ball. It was funny.

Hannah is going through her second puppyhood I think. She will be 2 in
March. She gets more and more lab like every day. She is a licker but
she is sweet. She seems to be totally house broken now and is allowed
to sleep on the bed with me (she likes the pillows on boyfriend's side
of the bed) and does not mess in the house at all lately even if bagel
does. .

Her growling and guarding has decreased DRAMATICALLY since I reduced
her food and learned from Janet how to deal properly with it. In fact
she barely guards now at all.

She is all puppy lately with her running and body slamming. She also
is much happier since I reduced her food. She was swimming last night
and looked wonderful. She is working on her downs (which SUCK right
now but are MUCH better now that she has to DOWN for everything).

She had stopped jumping up to people's faces (dang she can jump high
for a big dog) but this week there is a major reappearance of that
behavior. We are working on 'sit to greet'.

On the other hand, Sarah's dogs were also up in my face last night but
that's cause auntie Nessa is a soft touch with the yummies.

I am not looking forward to the time change. Sarah and I were at the
park last night after dark because all 5 dogs needed to run. This park
is NOT lit. Amazingly enough it was easier to see BAGEL than the
other dogs. Her's just blend in and we HEAR rather than see them. My
guys were a bit confused as I have never had them off leash in the
dark but they did great. It was neat to watch Morag and Hannah run.
It was the first time I had seen them actually play.

Bagel managed to bring not one but TWO tennis balls back to the car.
I couldn't understand why he kept dropping his ball. I took it from
him to hold and he rolled the other one to the front of his mouth.
Dang that's the Newf in him. I know one Landseer Newf who can get 3
tennis balls in his mouth at once easily.

Nessa who is once again ENJOYING being a dual doggie owner.