How can I train my deaf dog?

Old October 13th 03, 03:13 PM
John Seed

Default How can I train my deaf dog?

We've just got an 8 week old Dalamatian puppy that is deaf.

I'd really appreciate any tips, links or a good book that might help
us train her.

I've got a crackpot idea of fixing a vibration device (not a shocker)
to her collar to alert her to me, a bit like a vibrating phone.
Anyone any experience of this? Does it sound like a goer?

Other than not being able to hear the food going into the bowl she is
bright and alert and happy.

Sorry for asking about stuff I know has been posted here before, but
searching this group properly is really difficult due to the mass of
spew posted to every thread by the resident Walter Mitty.

Thanks,

John
Old October 13th 03, 03:51 PM
Alison

Hi ,

Barry Eaton has written a book on how how to train a deaf puppy.
You can buy it from
www.amazon.co.uk

Also read these websites.
http://www.deafk9.com/
http://www.deafdogs.org/

good luck!

--
Alison

Rescues.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/AnimalRescueLinksUK/

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks/

om...

Old October 13th 03, 04:12 PM
Tara O.

The link to deafdogs.org is a great one for general info. Innotek makes
vibrating collars which are great for use on deaf dogs. I think they run
about $90 but they have gotten great reviews from owners of deaf dogs that I
know.

Some general tips would be:

- be very careful about waking the pup or approaching her from directly
behind. Many deaf dogs startle easily and a startled dog will sometimes
snap.

- know that you may need to do some extra work with her on puppy behaviors
that normally would have been worked on by the "mother" dog. the deaf pup
wasn't able to hear a puppy's yelp or a mama's growl and these two things
are pretty important for teaching puppies basic manners with other dogs.

- learn and begin teaching hand signals immediately. like with any puppy,
you need to start training now and you need a way to communicate with the
puppy. since you cannot use sound as a means of communication or
correction, developing and reinforcing hand commands is very important.
Also since sound is absent, I'd recommend working heavily with treats as a
praise & reward system since the dog won't be able to hear a happy voice or
praise from you. Use a hand sign to signify "good girl" every time you
issue a treat so that eventually she'll understand that the sign means she
did something to please you.

- If you live in a house on a foundation (not a slab house) then stomping on
the floor is a good way to gain her attention when she's not looking at you.
She'll respond to vibrations in the floor and look about to see what's going
on. If you live in a house built on a slab then forget this method because
you'll just hurt your foot & ankle

- start training with a long lead even in a fenced in area, not allowing her
to get too far away from you. carry a fanny pack (hip pouch) of little
treats/morsels so that every time she looks to see where you are, she
receives the "good girl" sign and is offered a treat. This is basic
off-leash training but with the deaf dog, its really important to have this
firmly in place.

--
Tara

Old October 13th 03, 07:20 PM
BonnieTheCollie

To the OP - good for you! Thanks for giving a puppy a chance. Dalmatians
are great dogs, and the deaf ones I've known are great pets - very attentive to
their owners. There is a deaf American Bulldog in Pepper's puppy kindergarten
class that is doing very well. Puppy classes are something you should really
look into, to help your dog develop canine social skills and to help you learn
to communicate with him.
I'd agree with everything that Tara said, except:
- be very careful about waking the pup or approaching her from directly
behind. Many deaf dogs startle easily and a startled dog will sometimes
snap.

I'd say the total opposite - while your dog is young and impressionable, make
it a point to wake him up (gently) when he's sleeping, then reward him with a
pat or a treat. Sneak up behind him when he's awake or not watching you, and
again pet him gently or treat him. Do this every single day, and always make
it a positive experience. I did this with my blind dog, and now you can't take
her by surprise. For Bonnie, people contact is always a positive experience
whether it is expected or unexpected, so she has no reason to bite or snap.

Jana

4 Mo. Old Deaf Pitbull in Need Cubbyrat Dog rescue 0 November 13th 04 07:07 PM
Train Your Dog With Respect Mark Yeager Dog activities 3 November 3rd 04 08:39 PM
deaf dog Skippi Dog activities 2 September 29th 03 12:13 PM
Crosspost by req: Deaf Aussie lost in PA Sionnach Dog behavior 0 August 12th 03 03:02 PM
How to train for a specific backyard housebreaking spot? Joe Poster Dog behavior 0 August 11th 03 04:40 AM