Help with Yorkie Terrier who will not sleep alone

Old October 11th 03, 05:05 AM
mea305

Default Help with Yorkie Terrier who will not sleep alone

Hello all:

We just adopted a new Yorkie Terrier; he cannot be more than a year or
so old. Here is the problem: intitially, and only because he was
"scared" to sleep alone, we permitted him to sleep in the bed. Well,
one can imagine the problems associated with doing this, besides
becoming sleep deprived ourselves.

We live in a relatively small apartment and the bathroom is located
adjacent to our bedroom. We also have another "small dog," and they
get along -- well, let's just say they tolerate each other, but they
do not provoke conflict, although the Yorkie is scared of the older,
femalde dog. This dog literally "clings to me," following me
everywhere I go. In fact, when I am on the computer, sometimes he sits
on the "return" of the desk, atop a blanket.

Well, we are now in the process of keeping him in a separate part of
the bathroom by putting a large cardboard structure between the two
dogs, and, likewise, he is no longer allowed in the bedroom. Well,
each night, when we try to go to bed, the Yorke barks -- and I mean he
barks -- and will continue for hours.

Is there anything (like over-the-counter) preparatio I can give to
him. Recently, we have tried to give him a very little bit of benadryl
via a dropper, but, I think either it's just not doing anything or
it's got the opposite reaction.

Any ideas out there? I would like to have anyone who is interested in
responding to this note to please contact me via my e-mail address, if
you don't mind. I am a first time user of this group and I would much
rather simply have individuals e-mail me directly, unless there is a
meabs by which I can get an "automated e-mail" when someone responds
to this post.

I would appreciate help from those who, first, own a Yorkie, and have
had a similar problem, such as what I described.

Thanks,

mea305