Dog shot by neighbors.....

Old July 15th 03, 05:40 PM
Tirnambeo

Default Dog shot by neighbors.....

My two yr old coonhound/lab mix was shot in the leg by neighbors last week.
She had been let out by my kids who then just let her run loose (after being
told on several occasions that ALL of the dogs are to be tied for extended
unsupervised outside time). When I got home and called for her, she came
hobbling in with blood on her chest. I took her directly to the vet.

Turns out the bullet hit her as she was running away, catching her just
behind the shoulder, smashing through her upper leg bone, and exiting
through her chest. She had surgery the following day. A rod was inserted
into the bone, and a few fragments were wired/screwed to the biggest
sections. A great deal of the bone was shattered, though, and was simply
left as close to the bone as possible in the hopes that they will knit
themselves back to the main bone. The pin will be removed after the bone
has healed.

I now have to keep this very active young dog at a minimum of activity
(mostly just laying around, allowed outside only for bathroom walks.
Absolutely no running, jumping, etc) for up to four months. sigh. We have
to coonhound pups who miss their playmate and one very unhappy dog who hates
being confined to one room without her playmates.

Any suggestions for low activity entertainment would be greatly appreciated.
She has a kong, but I can't fill it the way I usually do to make her work
for the treats because she isn't supposed to use that one leg, so she
invariably gets the treats out quickly, and is bored once again.

Also, she is licking the exit wound and the skin around it is quite red. I
tried an e-collar, but she pawed at it constantly with both front paws,
trying to remove it. At least I now know she can use the wounded paw, so it
is unlikely there was any nerve damage.

Thanks for "listening" and for suggestions and ideas

Denise

Old July 15th 03, 09:50 PM
C A Brown

First off, I think the neighbour should have to entertain your dog. On
second thought, I'd keep him away.
We just went through two ACL surgeries between October 02 and last month. A
raw meaty bone is always a good distraction. We also taught Molly to play
rolling-on-the-ground "catch" with us. Pick- and-choose tricks are something
you could teach, or learning right from left etc.
Just a change of scenery can do wonders, out under a tree, car rides.
I wish you luck. It's hard not being able to keep a dog occupied but many
are doing it every day and hopefully others will have alternative ideas.
Carol Ann

Old July 16th 03, 12:33 AM
buglady

"Tirnambeo" wrote in message
My two yr old coonhound/lab mix was shot in the leg by neighbors last

week.
She had been let out by my kids who then just let her run loose (after

being
told on several occasions that ALL of the dogs are to be tied for extended
unsupervised outside time).

.......I hope your kids are on house arrest without TV. Actions have
consequences. Good time to learn this. Summer is just about impossible to
walk a dog around some neighborhoods here as the kids are home and let the
dogs out. There's dogs all over the place and some of them aren't friendly.

If they're too young to understand about the dogs, or if the dogs are
escape artists, get a small fenced in area around the back door, so if they
do escape at least they'll be confined. With a neighbor in love with his
gun your dog is very much at risk. I hope he doesn't drink too. Drunk boys
with guns are even worse. :-(

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 17th 03, 12:26 PM
David K

Next time you see your neighbor running loose, pop a cap in his azz
and see how he likes it! What kind of person would shoot a dog?
especially if it was running away?