Paper Training Adult Yorkie?

Old October 13th 03, 02:59 AM
The Newports

Default Paper Training Adult Yorkie?

First, apologies for not lurking or Google-searching before posting, but
I'm desperate for any help ASAP.

I've just acquired my first dog, under far less than ideal
circumstances. Zipper and I fell in love at first sight a year ago when
I came to work at the Assisted Living Facility where his is the house
pet (and I'm the Activity Director). He quickly developed the habit of
following me wherever I go, and I quickly developed the habit of petting
him, picking him up, and cooing my love and devotion to him.

Well, two months ago this 6 or 7 year-old 17-lb "Elephant Yorkie" (if a
recent visitor is to be believed) began having severe health problems.
I won't give the *entire* history here, but three weeks ago Zip had to
have exploratory surgery to diagnose a serious inflammatory bowel
condition. He spent a week in the hospital, and we really didn't think
he would pull through.

Thanks to God and an amazingly devoted vet, he finally stopped throwing
up, started eating, and was relesed into my care. He must now "retire"
from the ALF, as he is too delicate to live in that environment any more
-- especially with the risk of confused residents feeding him or
allowing him to "vacuum" their dropped snacks off the floor.

Of course, I love him dearly, and wouldn't hear of his lving with anyone
else!! The problem for me is that the high doses of prednisone he must
take (at least for now) cause him to drink incesssantly. Since I live
in a townhouse without a fenced in yard, that means leash walks every
hour or so, including ovenight. I'm about to collapse from sleep
deprivation.

Is there *any* chance of paper-training this very smart guy, and if so,
can anyone point me in the direction of the best method? I'm sure he is
capable - I've watched him learn so many things on his own. I just
don't want to screw it up by taking the wrong approach.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice the group can give.

~~~R. Newport, novice doggie convert

O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O