dog houses, for dog people

Old October 13th 03, 08:47 AM
culprit

Default dog houses, for dog people

what do you look for in a dog friendly house?

the SO and i are starting our search for a house of our own. the place
we're renting is nice, but financially, home ownership makes a lot more
sense.
we've been looking at a lot of places, and we were surprised at how much the
dogs figure into our requirements. we need a lot of space. two active
dogs that live indoors makes a house seem small very quickly. we need a
place with an easily separated area (that includes our bedroom), so the cats
have a "safe place" where the dogs can't go. we need a BIG yard. we're
thinking an acre at least. we need a good, solid, 6 foot fence around most
of it. we don't want to live close enough to our neighbors that they will
be bothered by our dogs, or that they will bother our dogs. we know that
some folks are afraid of our breed, and that in our county, barking at
someone through a fence can be considered "aggressive behavior. one
"strike", so to speak, with three strikes equaling death, so we would prefer
privacy. we know that with our breed, a "neighborhood association", with
all their weird rules, is probably out of the question.

we spent the weekend looking at houses. one of the homes we saw we liked
before we even arrived. we were driving down the street, and the SO pointed
to a big yard and said, "that's a weird looking play set". it was an
agility course. in someone's yard. we decided immediately that this was
probably a dog friendly neighborhood and would work. too bad the house
didn't (small garage, too close to the neighbor).

one of the houses we saw today had the dogs locked up in the garage for an
open house. there was a small cat door into the garage from one of the
rooms we looked at. growling at us through the cat door was a white pointy
nose, with a little fluff around the cheeks. an eskie, very vocally
defending her house (the realtor said the little white dog was the "evil
one"). we later looked into the garage window from outside to see a chow
and an OES in there with the eskie. another dog friendly neighborhood, i'd
guess. unfortunately, the house itself didn't meet our tastes (needed a new
roof, no gas hookups, too close to neighbors).

the next house also had barking from the garage... the realtor said we
could go inside, but the two cattle dogs in there looked pretty spooked.
they barked and backed away from us, tails tucked, and i (good for me!)
suggested we just peek through the door and leave the poor dogs alone. how
scary to have people trespassing on your property all day! this one was far
from neighbors, on two acres, lots of fenced dog areas... but the house
itself was too small.

i wonder if we'll ever find a place. i suppose it would be easier if i were
willing to live in a normal suburban neighborhood. but i just don't want to
take the chances with my dogs. i can just see them being PTS for chasing
the neighbor's cat. *sigh*

how long did it take you to find your perfect dog house? or are you still
looking? :-)

-kelly