sheltie nose infection

Old July 20th 03, 07:45 PM
Melinda Carney

Default sheltie nose infection

hello,

I have a 4 year old sheltie that seems to have a never ending nose
infection. I took him to the vet and it doesn't seem to be serious.
He was put on a round of antibiotics which almost cleared it up, but
not completely. The edge of his nose is pink and slightly swollen
with some mucus. His nose isnt' really dried up and cracking but it
looks like the mucus dries up a little and scabs. Is there any home
remedy for this, just to keep it under control?

Thanks,
Melinda and Ned
Old July 21st 03, 06:26 AM
Rene

"Melinda Carney" wrote in message
om...
hello,

I have a 4 year old sheltie that seems to have a never ending nose
infection. I took him to the vet and it doesn't seem to be serious.
He was put on a round of antibiotics which almost cleared it up, but
not completely. The edge of his nose is pink and slightly swollen
with some mucus. His nose isnt' really dried up and cracking but it
looks like the mucus dries up a little and scabs. Is there any home
remedy for this, just to keep it under control?

Thanks,
Melinda and Ned

Don't know if this is the same thing as what is going on with your dog, but
here goes: we babysat a friend's dog and her nose was very rough, a crack
or two, but not pink or swollen. In one crack it looked like it was
infected. My friend had been trying numerous things to remedy this that did
not work. I use colloidal silver to spray on cuts so I thought I would give
it a try. Spraying into the face of a dog is not a good idea, we tried
putting it on some gauze and applying it to the nose with not much luck. So
I put it in her drinking water so that every time she drank some water, she
would get colloidal silver on it. By the end of the weekend, it was
noticeably better...no more oozing. It has been about a month since we
started her on that and her nose is still really rough, but no infection.
It may be worth a try. Of course, it would be much better to find out what
is causing this, but there seem to be no answers out there.

Let me know if you want more info one this.
René