Need Input

Old October 15th 03, 04:27 PM
Suja

Default Need Input

There is a young lady who comes to the dog park with her rescue Husky.
I think she's a high school student, but appears to have a good head on
her shoulders, reads tons about dogs, always interested in learning,
volunteers at the shelter, etc. So, I trust her version of events. A
family she knows, that has 5 young kids, just adopted a 12 week old
puppy. Let's set aside the fact that the rescue quite possibly has no
idea what they're doing. He's supposed to be a GSD/Boxer mix. The
family chose him because he was quite mellow when they first met him,
and gave them no trouble when he was picked up, cradled in their arms,
etc.

She went to meet the puppy, first because it *is* a puppy and she is a
dog lover, but also because the family is having problems with the pup.
After her interactions with the puppy, she said she could totally see
why the kids are terrified of the pup. This puppy was described to me
as vicious. Apparently, the puppy growls, lunges, snaps, and on more
than one occasion has bitten. The puppy bit this girl. She said that
she was just sitting there, a good 10 ft. away from the pup, talking to
his owners and not paying any attention to the puppy, when he ran over,
growled at her, and went for her hand. She had teeny tiny puncture
wounds where he had got a hold of her. Apparently, this is not at all
unusual, he growls and lunges for no reason anyone can tell, and none of
what was described sounds like normal puppy nipping/overexcited play
type behavior to me.

As a first step I suggested that the pup get a pretty thorough medical
evaluation, have his vision, hearing, etc. checked out. If all is
normal, I said that they should get a behaviorist in ASAP if they have
any intentions of keeping this puppy. Considering that the family is
already afraid of the dog, it might be in everyone's best interest if
the pup was returned to the shelter, and these folks got an older, more
mellow dog. As far as I know, the pup was kept with his littermates
until these folks brought him home, but we don't know how long he stayed
with his mother.

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

Suja

Need input on limp in Golden Retriever Leslie Weinberg Dog health 5 February 28th 04 02:28 AM
Need Input Suja Dog behavior 104 October 16th 03 06:22 PM
Need Input [eggplant] Jo Wolf Dog behavior 3 October 16th 03 07:39 AM
Need Input Suja Dog behavior 0 October 15th 03 04:27 PM
Need Input Suja Dog behavior 0 October 15th 03 04:27 PM