How do you know?

Old October 19th 03, 08:45 AM
Cin

Default How do you know?

Hi everyone, i just have a sad question to ask. How do you know when it is
time to put your dog to sleep? I think it is getting very close for my old
boy. He is 13 and over the last few weeks has just gone down hill so fast.
He is eating his own pooh, he has a problem and cant digest his food, i just
found a tumour on him (only small but has doubled size in a few days) he has
cancer in the belly and has other lumps all over him. He has arthritis and
never wants to go for walks anymore (a few months back he would go down two
or 3 houses and come home, it wasnt much but it was something).

Our other dog (3 year old bulldog) is fighting with him so much. We just got
him a new bed and corner to sleep in inside to make things a bit nice for
him.

We are going to the vets tomorrow to get the tumour looked at, he wants to
operate on him tomorrow. I am scared that he wont make it through the
operation, that he is just going to be in more pain then he is now.

Please, can someone tell me what they did in this situation? My boy is my
life and i dont want him to suffer anymore then he is.

I really wish dogs lived 80 years like us...

Cin

--
-------------------------------------

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~ccollings/

We really never lose the ones we love...
They live forever within our hearts.

They say a man isn't dead unless he is forgotten, my brother will never be
forgotten

When a baby is born the angels weep and humans rejoice. When a loved one
dies, humans weep, but the angels rejoice."

Old October 19th 03, 01:36 PM
Emily Carroll

I've been told this method to decide when it's time to let go:

Write down your dog's three favorite things in the world. Things that it
NEVER turns down, or refuses to do. For some dogs, that's going for rides,
or playing with their favorite toy, or enjoying the company of another pet.

When they refuse to do one, it's time to think about it. When they're
refusing two, it's probably about time, and if they refuse all three, it's
cruel to let them go on. (Keeping in mind this isn't "true" if it's an
easily fixable problem--your dog is refusing all three because it's very
sick--but you're treating it and the dog WILL feel better in a few weeks).

--
Emily Carroll
*Dumpee Kittens Available in SE/Mid Michigan*

"Cin" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 19th 03, 01:41 PM
Kind2dogs

Subject: How do you know?
From: "Cin"
Date: Sun, Oct 19, 2003 3:45 AM
Hi everyone, i just have a sad question to ask. How do you know when it
is
time to put your dog to sleep?

Everyone will have a different answer.

For me it is when your dog has no more of life left.

When he she does not want to eat,when their life is so not the same,as they can
not walk, or have much pleasure in anything.

I think it is getting very close for my old
boy. He is 13 and over the last few weeks has just gone down hill so fast.
He is eating his own pooh, he has a problem and cant digest his food, i
just
found a tumour on him (only small but has doubled size in a few days) he
has
cancer in the belly and has other lumps all over him. He has arthritis and
never wants to go for walks anymore (a few months back he would go down
two
or 3 houses and come home, it wasnt much but it was something).

Our other dog (3 year old bulldog) is fighting with him so much.

Keep the bully AWAY from your old sick guy.
SO DISRESPECTFUL. : (

We just
got
him a new bed and corner to sleep in inside to make things a bit nice for
him.

So he lived outside before?

Does the other dog live outside?

If so then let the old dog be alone with you inside at peace.

We are going to the vets tomorrow to get the tumour looked at, he wants
operate on him tomorrow. I am scared that he wont make it through the
operation, that he is just going to be in more pain then he is now.

Please, can someone tell me what they did in this situation?

Again we all do things differently,

If this was my dog, I would not bring him to the vets or for an operation.

My boy is my
life and i dont want him to suffer anymore then he is.

There is a selfish part to us when we do not want to let our sick dogs go.

From what you have said, your dog is sick and old and ready to go on to a
better life.

If he were mine, I would hold him look into his eyes, and then I would KNOW if
now was the time.

If you can have your vet come to you is a good thing as this puts so much less
stress on your dog.

I really wish dogs lived 80 years like us...

Yes, me too!

A dogs life is too short...
Their only fault really...

What is old guys name?

doG Bless you both.

Cin

Paulette~
Old October 19th 03, 01:41 PM
Kind2dogs

Old October 19th 03, 01:41 PM
Kind2dogs

Old October 19th 03, 01:41 PM
Kind2dogs

Old October 19th 03, 10:51 PM
Cin

When he she does not want to eat,when their life is so not the same,as

they can
not walk, or have much pleasure in anything.

Yeah, thanks,as i think i said he never wants to walk anymore, wont 'play'
fetch (his idea of fetch is he catches the ball, then i spend 30mins trying
to fetch it from him)...

Keep the bully AWAY from your old sick guy.
SO DISRESPECTFUL. : (

We have been doing that, Duke (bulldog) has his own run outside we lock him
in so they have been apart for a few weeks now

So he lived outside before?

Does the other dog live outside?

If so then let the old dog be alone with you inside at peace.

We tried to have him inside, but he always wanted to be outside, now he
likes it so we are keeping him here with us

Again we all do things differently,

If this was my dog, I would not bring him to the vets or for an operation.

We have thought about it and arent getting the operation. I am taking him
there in an hour or so and having a good talk to the vet about him. I will
get him checked out and see what the vet can recomend we do to make things
easier for him.

From what you have said, your dog is sick and old and ready to go on to a

better life.

If he were mine, I would hold him look into his eyes, and then I would

KNOW if
now was the time.

If you can have your vet come to you is a good thing as this puts so much

less
stress on your dog.

The vet said that when it is time he will come to the house for him

What is old guys name?

Sorry! I didnt realise that i left it out, his name is Zues

doG Bless you both.

Thank you, i iwll let you know what happenes

Cin