Stinky dog- High Protein diet the culprit???

Old July 21st 03, 11:38 PM
Carol

Default Stinky dog- High Protein diet the culprit???

Hi,

My dog smells

At first I just figured it was because she was going in and out of the
water but then I gave her 2 good baths and didn't let her into the
water for a few days. I even cleaned all her areas (laundry,febreezed
and mopped). While it smelled good for a day or so, the odor came
back.

I then took her to the vets to see if she had bad anal glands. He said
they looked good but finished cleaning them out, just to make sure. I
then took her home and gave her another good bath. Smell has come
back.

I can't seem to find it coming from anywhere specific- not her breath,
not her butt, not her ears.

We have changed her over to a home made diet in the last few months-
rice, rolled oats, lean burger, kidney beans, carrots. Any chance that
this is the culprit? It's around 30% in protein. (p.s- the reason we
switched is because she epileptic and we had lost control. Since
switching to the homemade she's going back to breaking seizure-free
records).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Carol

Old July 22nd 03, 03:36 AM
Suja

Carol wrote:

Hi,

My dog smells

What kind of dog is she? How old, and is this a recent phenomenon, or
has she always had this odor? Maybe you can describe it?

Suja

Old July 23rd 03, 07:18 AM
Carol

Yes, I meant that we've seen a increase in number of days between
seizures. We're at 65 now.

I've always suspected sensitive stomach to triggering her seizures.
However, after ~6 yrs of this I've also come to realize that there are
ALOT of concidences and no answers.

Thanks for your reply

Carol

........Maybe I'm misreading this, but I guess you mean that her seizures
are further and further apart? If so, that's great!

Old July 23rd 03, 08:41 AM
Carol

She's a 10.5 yr old German Shepherd.

Recent Phenomenon

Sweet smelling (that's why I thought it was the anal glands)
Other than the smell she's a happy, helathy, smiley, waggy kinda gal
so I don't think it's a major health problem.

Someone had mentioned that oiler coats make dogs smellier. I wonder if
the change of diet could be making her coat oiler.

i guess it must be the going in and out of the water probably and
maybe the baths just didn't get all the bacteria. She is much better
than she was prior to the baths, just not quite back to normal.

Thanks for your assistance.

Carol