Food Aggression Test -- Fair or Not???

Old October 18th 03, 06:51 PM
Charlie Wilkes

Default Food Aggression Test -- Fair or Not???

I have been watching Animal Cops on Animal Planet, and one chronic
problem they have is with pit bulls hauled in from fight rings etc.
Most of the dogs are lovable beasts who are only too happy to be in
better hands. But a few have temperament issues.

When determining if these dogs are safe to be adopted, one test is to
snatch away the animal's food dish while it is eating, using a dummy
hand on a stick. The dog is not supposed to growl or snap.

Since the age of about 4, I have known that snatching food from a dog
is potentially dangerous. I know many fine dogs who would fail this
test. I remember how my tenants' dog used to deal with their little
girl when she was a toddler and tried to get after something he was
eating... tears flowed and screams erupted, but no one got hurt and
the dog made his point.

So I don't think this test is fair. What does everyone else think?

Charlie