Separation Anxiety

Old October 22nd 03, 10:48 PM
Tricia9999

Default Separation Anxiety

I would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this. The mom from the
litter I am fostering suffers from this and I am so worn out from having to
deal with this. Please share any experiences and solutions. Thanks.
Old October 23rd 03, 02:43 AM
Tricia9999

Thanks very much Melanie. The pups have been masking her anxiety. She has been
fine in my absence as long as she could be with them. But now that I am keeping
her from them, (she wouldn't wean them and they are sucking her dry), and she
is less interested in them, her symptoms are really coming to the surface. She
is also an escape artist so this is a trying experience.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:50 AM
culprit

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
The worst part was that Solo would freak out
whenever I left, even if there were other people that he LIKED in the
room with him, so it was kind of like being a prisoner. But, you know,
he did eventually get over it. It can happen!

Lola was like this, she'd sit at the window crying for me if i walked to the
store, even with SO sitting there, petting her. she'd refuse treats, and
not touch the ones we left in her crate.
This did get better when Manu came along, though she still cries at the
window if he's outside and she's in. and she only eats her treats if her
crate is situated so that she can see Manu eating his.

there was a time, however, when i literally had to use earplugs to get any
sleep at night.

-kelly

Old October 23rd 03, 02:20 PM
Mary W.

Tricia9999 wrote:

I would love to hear from anyone who has dealt with this. The mom from the
litter I am fostering suffers from this and I am so worn out from having to
deal with this. Please share any experiences and solutions. Thanks.

I can't add much to what Melanie said, but our lab mix did have
separation anxiety and has pretty much gotten over it. She could
escape too - got out of a midwest wire crate - through the bottom!

Thankfully, DH works at home so she really didn't need to be
left alone much at all. A frozen kong stuffed with peanutbutter
helped (kept her busy and her mind off of us being gone). We
did agility and training to improve her confidence. But what
really helped was getting our second dog - a dog who is
totally confident, with no fears that anyone would ever leave
her (how could they, she's so cute). That really settled Molly down.

I don't think Molly's case was really that bad. If it had been worse,
or if we hadn't been able to manage it, I think we would have
considered the anti-anxiety drugs.

Mary