Latest Goings-On For HarCo Industries

Old October 20th 03, 06:42 PM
HarCo Industries

Default Latest Goings-On For HarCo Industries

Well, some fun news and some not so fun news.

Not so fun, looks like Mr. Harlan A. G0-Go gets to start taking
thyroid meds. We're just waiting for one more blood test to come in to
know which one. With luck, he'll start feeling more like his old self.
Less itchy, anyhow, I hope. He also has been "off" in some way that is
hard to define, just not himself somehow.

In funner news, we went to Dogtoberfest yesterday and had a blast.
Harlan got to wrestle with puppies, eat cheese and wade in a pond. We
also played a round of "Musical Frisbee", but got kicked out on the
second go! My rotten little sister STOLE my frisbee. I know that she
and her dog CHEATED. We WAS ROBBED!!!!!

I think my sister and I managed to freak the announcer out a bit. We
were making "You're going DOWN!" wrestling-style gestures at each
other as I left the field. It took him a minute to see that we were
just funnin'. Heh.

The Newfoundland club did a carting demo, and as I have been working
on that with Harlan, I stopped by to see if they could give me some
pointers. Well, they were incredibly helpful. I had brought his cart
harness along in hopes of cajoling someone into check the fit, and not
only did they get it fit (and show me how to put it on properly), they
hooked him up and showed me where the Newfie cart was too big so that
I would have a better idea on constructing a Harlan sized cart. Harlan
was a very good boy during all this. He stood very still while letting
a stranger hook up and fit his harness. He was a little hesitant about
getting between the shafts, but a few pieces of cheese reassured him.
After that he just waited politely which I learned all I could about
How To Construct A Proper Cart. Then we noticed he wasn't in the
shade, so we had him pull the cart a few feet. No worries, he acted
like he'd been a draft dog for ages. Hee hee. I was pretty jazzed
about this, and even started a little cart construction after we got
home (well, after a nap, I'll confess).

We also were approached by a lady at the "Pets for Life" booth
(www.kcpetsforlife.com) to see if we wanted to give pet therapy a try.
There's an orientation meeting next month, and I think I'll check it
out.

Dogtoberfest seems to get bigger every year. Lots of fun demos. New
this year was the water-rescue demo. They had a Newife pull in a
rowboat with 3 people, and also showed how they bring in a thrashing
hollering "drowning" person -- they pass by with a life preserver,
wait for the person to grab it, and then towed them in. Pretty neat.
After the demo was over, several people played water-fetch with their
dogs. Harlan was content just to splash a bit in the shallows (hmm,
may have to add a pond to the old homestead one of these days).

In addition to the demos, there were lots of contest: biscuit,
halloween costume contest (winner: Irish Wolfhound dressed as a bee,
handler dressed as a bee keeper), potato sack race, youngest
dog/handler combo, oldest dog/handler combo, bobbing for biscuits, and
I don't know what all else.

The weather was great, if a bit warm for October. All the people and
dogs behaved well, and a good time was had by all!

--Terri & Harlan (still, WE WAS ROBBED!!!)