my dog has red bumps all over, losing hair, and the itches.

Old October 24th 03, 04:04 PM
Kind2dogs

Default my dog has red bumps all over, losing hair, and the itches.

From: "Dude"
Date: Fri, Oct 24, 2003 10:40 AM
My Chesapeake Bay Retriever pup has had two staph skin infections.

They
start as red dots which turn into pustules (small bumps...pimples actually)
that the dog scratches.

This scratching ruptures the pustules and further
spreads the infection across the skin. After rupturing, the pustule dries
up, gets granular, begins to heal and then the hair around that spot is
lost
in a perfect little circular patch about an inch across. Eventually, these
patches begin to overlap and form large patches of hairlessness. In my
dog's first case, it started in the crotch, spread up under the chest and
involved the neck. That's when we started the antibiotics (3 weeks, twice
daily oral) the first time. The second time (a few months later...the dog
is now 9 months old), it started in the same place (just lateral from the
penile sheath) and spread up to the bottom of the ribcage before I took
him
to the vet and we started another course of antibiotics (2 weeks, twice
daily oral). We're right at the end of the antibiotics now and it has
cleared up now. I'm hoping that its a puppy thing

NO it is not just a puppy thing.

he'll grow out of and
that this is the last time he'll have this problem.

NO probably not.

He could be allergic to a lot of things and you can test for that.

Where does he sleep?

Thankfully, his coat
recovered fully the first time and we didn't let it go long enough this
last
time for him to suffer much hair loss. I'm hoping this was due to his
hairless puppy underbelly and an immature immune system. We'll see.

The antibioitics should have been the last resort. Dog should have a completed
thyroid panel dogs.

What is he eating?

Some lines of Chessies do have this problem,in fact we are conducting research
in this area.

Where did your dog come from?

Have you spoken to the breeder?

What were her dogs coats like?

Antibiotics for 2 to 3 weeks clear it up.

My theory is that it starts in the crotch when the dog is crated for too
in
a crate that is a bit too small.

Then the dog should not beinsuch a small crate, and for HOW LONG?

The dog cant really "unfold" itself

This is NEGLECT and or ABUSE INO

and
air out its crotch so, the warmth, moisture and darkness of the crotch form
a wonderful little breeding ground for staph. We checked to make sure it
wasn't a fungus (i.e. yeast from the anal region) and the vet actually put
scrappings under a microscope to identify the microbe as a stapholococcus.

This may not be your problem but, I thought I'd share it anyway.

Well it might be if you decide you do not want to deal with your dog anymore.

Why on earth are you crating a dog ina too small of crate?

: (

Paulette~
Old October 24th 03, 04:04 PM
Kind2dogs