jacks and cats

Old October 25th 03, 08:18 PM
Mary

Default jacks and cats

does anyone know about jack russell terriers and cats. we can't seem to get
our jack to leave the cat alone. we adopted the dog a few weeks ago and
have not had a moment of peace since then.

Old October 25th 03, 08:46 PM
Child

"Mary" wrote in message
does anyone know about jack russell terriers and cats. we can't seem to

get
our jack to leave the cat alone. we adopted the dog a few weeks ago and
have not had a moment of peace since then.

Oy yi yi,
jack russels are bred to chase small animals, so its pretty expected that an
adult jrt will chase cats. There are some that don't but most are brought
up with cats from an early age.

I am sure Sarah will have more advice for you than i do, but in the meantime
please give the cats some safe places to go. Baby gates might be a good
idea.

Old October 26th 03, 04:47 PM
Becky

I don't have a JRT, but a baby gate is exactly what I use to give the cats
some place to go when Buddy is too much for them...have it on a landing
between LR and kitchen, dog has LR and master bedroom...cats get the kitchen
and other 2 br's...Until next time, Becky...

Old October 27th 03, 08:15 AM
culprit

"Mary" wrote in message
does anyone know about jack russell terriers and cats. we can't seem to

get
our jack to leave the cat alone. we adopted the dog a few weeks ago and
have not had a moment of peace since then.

how old is the dog? i have two pit bulls and two cats. the one i raised
from a pup is just fine with the cats. she used to chase them, but after a
couple swipes across her nose, she's learned to approach them with caution.
now they sleep together on the bed. the second dog i adopted as an
adolescent, and he won't leave them alone.
i use a baby gate to separate the house so the cats have a "safe place",
though the Manu will knock the gate over to chase a cat if he sees one
lurking behind it.

we're working on desensitizing him, but it's hard work, given that the cats
won't really participate willingly. :-)
our method is to have him on a leash with his training collar and a bunch of
treats. we walk him into a cat area, and ask him to sit and "look at me".
when he looks at me, he gets yummy treats. when he looks at the cat without
interest (this hasn't happened yet), he gets a treat. when he looks at the
cat with interest or leaves a sit, or freaks out with excitement, he gets a
correction, both verbal and with the leash. then immediately, "look at me",
and a treat for complying. the idea is to teach the dog that getting
excited about the cat makes bad things happen. ignoring the cat makes good
things happen. every correction should be followed with a command that he
can do, even though he's excited, so he does get a reward. it's important
for him to succeed at something, otherwise he'll just associate the cats
with bad things in general.

unfortunately, we need to find a willing cat to practice with, because ours
tend to hide from him. he does have big teeth, after all. :-)

the reassuring thing is that the one time he DID corner a cat (in the shower
of all places), he just sniffed. very aggressively (from the cat's
perspective", but no mouth, no teeth, no paws, just nose- deep in the cat's
fur.

-kelly