Do cocker spaniels shed a lot?

Old March 21st 04, 01:36 AM
NoName

Default Do cocker spaniels shed a lot?

Snapped whenever someone got one of his toys, forced all the other dogs to
surrender their toys to him. Demanded food ahead of the pack. Until we
corrected it, he would snap at the younger family members if they even went
near his food bowl ow chewies. It was dominance OK.

SD

"Melissa S. Frye" wrote in message
ink.net...
"NoName" wrote in message
Around here, there is an overwhelming majority of dominant Cocker males.
That being said, one of my 4 was one of the gentlest Cockers in the

world
for 15 years. However, unlike most on this list, I don't consider
dominance to be a fatal flaw. In fact, I prefer it. The hardest thing

for
me to deal with is a timid dog. I really don't care to ever deal with

one
again.

I think you are confusing a confident dog with a dominant one.

What makes you label a dog "dominant'?

Confrontational training methods often create dogs that will actively

resist
training. So often the dog is seen as being dominant because it doesn't
instantly respond submissively.

Hunter is confident, intact male stud dog. He has never need a swift and
serious correction, as he wants to do what I ask.
One of his sons lives with my 4 yo nephew.

Flair is a dominant bitch. What she needed was a lot of very clear rules
that were consistent. Not using force. She is a lovely girl and teachs

all
the new dogs to respect her.

I think there are a lot of modern myths out there about what makes good
breeding and what doesn't. Dominance doesn't necessarily mean
uncontrollable. But fear often does mean just that.

Cockers should not be dominant - they should be confident and responsive.
Dominant dogs are often not nearly as useful in the field as they less
willing to work for the handler. It's as incorrect a temperment for a
spaniel as fearful is.

A proper cocker temperment is a confident yet biddable dog.

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/