help...separation anxiety

Old October 26th 03, 05:14 PM
Sharon Benum

Default help...separation anxiety

Hi all!

I'm new to this group but I would like some ideas and information on
separation anxiety. I bought a standard poodle puppy, 3 mos. old, a week
ago. She weighs about 30 lbs so she isn't a small puppy. She'll sleep in
bed with us without needing to go out, from about 10 pm to 6:30 am. She
follows me all around the house. She gets upset when I take a shower. She
won't stay out to go potty unless I'm with her...or my husband. If we leave
her for a few hours she defacates and urinates all over the place. She even
did it in her crate. She cries if I leave her in the car for a few minutes!
My husband and I love her dearly. I can't believe how much since we have
only had her a week. I have a month to make up my mind. If it doesn't work
out I can take her back and get my money back. But I really don't want to
do that. Can I break her of this? My husband and I work so she's alone
for three hours, two days a week. Plus, how can I housebreak her when she
is too afraid to go to the door on her own. I put her food in an area where
she can't see me and she takes a few bites and then runs to find me. I
would appreciate any ideas and thoughts on the matter.

thank you
sharon