puppy flea treatment

Old July 26th 03, 08:18 PM
Nomad

Default puppy flea treatment

I have a 7-week old rottie puppy. The breeder I purchased him from raises
his animals on a ranch which is great for them but my boy has fleas all
over. All the flea treatments I see at the store state "Do not use on dogs
under 12 weeks old". What can I do to treat my puppy? I have another dog and
cat in the house so its very important that I get this under control
quickly. Thanks for your help.

Sean

Old July 26th 03, 09:50 PM
ZPL

I think Advantage and Program are ones that you can use on pups and kits
that are 6 weeks. (I know you will take him in to the vet within 2-3 days
of bringing him home.) Until then, if you have a feed store or a Petsmart
or something, Adams Flea Spray will help. Can be used on the bitty ones.

It does smell, and it does contain alcohol as a solvent. Before Frontline
and others, Adams was *it*. Used to buy the stuff by the gallon.

Old July 27th 03, 12:27 AM
crosem

start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 12:27 AM
crosem

start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 04:46 AM

After going through many many flea infestations,
I've found flea collars, bombs, garlic and brewers yeast to be of no help.
I never tried Adams though.
Only thorough vacuuming and diatomaceous earth did the trick.

Then when Frontline and Advantage (et al) came along ... boom, fleas gone.
I didn't even have to give the dogs and cats flea baths.
Amazing stuff ... I wonder if the fleas will ever become immune.

"crosem" wrote in message
om...
start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 04:46 AM

After going through many many flea infestations,
I've found flea collars, bombs, garlic and brewers yeast to be of no help.
I never tried Adams though.
Only thorough vacuuming and diatomaceous earth did the trick.

Then when Frontline and Advantage (et al) came along ... boom, fleas gone.
I didn't even have to give the dogs and cats flea baths.
Amazing stuff ... I wonder if the fleas will ever become immune.

"crosem" wrote in message
om...
start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 05:10 AM
ZPL

I worry about that, too. My vet does suggest rotating... On the dog, I use
Revolution (one drop shopping) in the summer months, but go to Frontline and
Interceptor in the winter months. With the ferrets on Advantage most of the
time.... Hmmm, maybe I'll do Program on them this winter.

"Q" wrote in message
After going through many many flea infestations,
I've found flea collars, bombs, garlic and brewers yeast to be of no help.
I never tried Adams though.
Only thorough vacuuming and diatomaceous earth did the trick.

Then when Frontline and Advantage (et al) came along ... boom, fleas gone.
I didn't even have to give the dogs and cats flea baths.
Amazing stuff ... I wonder if the fleas will ever become immune.

"crosem" wrote in message
om...
start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the

other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 05:10 AM
ZPL

"Q" wrote in message
After going through many many flea infestations,
I've found flea collars, bombs, garlic and brewers yeast to be of no help.
I never tried Adams though.
Only thorough vacuuming and diatomaceous earth did the trick.

Then when Frontline and Advantage (et al) came along ... boom, fleas gone.
I didn't even have to give the dogs and cats flea baths.
Amazing stuff ... I wonder if the fleas will ever become immune.

"crosem" wrote in message
om...
start out with a nice bath! flush the ones that jump off down the
drain...that will give you an ALMOST clean slate on which to put the

other
items...

.. .

Old July 27th 03, 06:34 AM
Tara O.

"Q" wrote in message
After going through many many flea infestations,
I've found flea collars, bombs, garlic and brewers yeast to be of no help.
I never tried Adams though.
Only thorough vacuuming and diatomaceous earth did the trick.

Then when Frontline and Advantage (et al) came along ... boom, fleas gone.
I didn't even have to give the dogs and cats flea baths.
Amazing stuff ... I wonder if the fleas will ever become immune.

Neither Frontline nor Advantage work on my dogs. I used to think that I was
not applying it properly so I went to having my vet apply it and see what
happened. Not only did existing fleas stay alive but eggs hatched as well.
Somehow (don't ask me how) my two dogs, different breeds & ages, are both
immune to those products. I noticed a minor positive effect on a recent
topical I puchased...can't think of the name...its in an odd shaped green
package and the package is actually the applicator, you just snip off the
top. It takes two applications for a medium-large sized dog and one
application for a small dog.

--
Tara

getting a puppy Ilan Kerman Dog breeds 2 December 3rd 03 04:06 AM
New Puppy Questions (Shih Tsu) MikeTheBike9 Dog breeds 1 November 24th 03 11:18 PM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM
Adopted Golden Retriever puppy, worried about size queenmother Dog breeds 7 July 10th 03 02:47 AM